ranch/farm jobs?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have only a limited knowledge of Dave Ramsey and what he teaches, but I am surprised at the number of people who discount what he has to say based on his past. People who have dealt personally with an issue and know how devastating something can be can be some of the best teachers at helping others avoid the same pitfalls.

Past drug users go to high schools and tell of the dangers of drugs. Women who have had an abortion tell others how painful of an experience it was. Ex-cons preaching from the pulpit, and the list could go on. Are we to discount what they have to say because they didn't live a perfect life?

If he worked hard at getting out of debt and repaying those he owed money to and wants to help others I don't see how anyone could criticize him.

ChrisB":qmxbviv1 said:
I have only a limited knowledge of Dave Ramsey and what he teaches, but I am surprised at the number of people who discount what he has to say based on his past. People who have dealt personally with an issue and know how devastating something can be can be some of the best teachers at helping others avoid the same pitfalls.

Past drug users go to high schools and tell of the dangers of drugs. Women who have had an abortion tell others how painful of an experience it was. Ex-cons preaching from the pulpit, and the list could go on. Are we to discount what they have to say because they didn't live a perfect life?

If he worked hard at getting out of debt and repaying those he owed money to and wants to help others I don't see how anyone could criticize him.

Well said, but reality is there are always people that think they are pretty much perfect and don't need anything from anyone. Go figure.

gberry":t6363zh9 said:
TheBullLady":t6363zh9 said:
I've never even heard of Dave Ramsey.. but I think it's interesting that he's a financial advisor after going bankrupt once ? twice ? Ya'll realize that with the bankruptcy he left people high and dry without paying them back what he owed. Always a shot in the shorts for the company / people he owes money to. Nice to think he got services or good without paying the provide for them.
I think we could all be driving a paid for Mercedes given the chance to get deeply in debt, and then pay back pennies to the dollar and start over again. :roll:

I agree. I understand his financial program has been offered at our church and I find this a bit disconcerting. Leaving someone high and dry with a bankruptcy, in my opinion, is not a Christian act. The fact that he is now wealthy from teaching others how to manage their money is ridiculous. I hope he paid back the folks he left holding the bag.

It amazes me how many people actually go to church, but don't read their bibles. In the Old Testament, every 7 years creditors had to release their debtors. It sounds like Chapter 7 bankruptcy to me.

tncattle, I think its great you want to be out of debt.

ChrisB":2n0zafzg said:
Past drug users go to high schools and tell of the dangers of drugs.

Exactly. We all heard that in the early 70's from dudes that were heavy abusers and survived. They came by the school frequently and bragged about how tough they were in prison, how many knife holes they got etc etc. We heard it all. We got the message that we could all survive it too. We were as tough as they came. There is a long list of my peers who didn't survive it. Thankfully most states have now banned this.

Did none of you ever take psych 101 in college? Reading this thread you can understand why it is mandated in all curriculums.

tncattle":1mhxyw44 said:
backhoeboogie":1mhxyw44 said:
If he declared bankruptcy in the first place, he's not a man of his word.

If you steal a man's property, and then pay restitution, it doesn't change the fact that you were a thief. The victim did without what was stolen for a period of time, even if you replace it. Hence, no matter how much restitution he pays to his debtors, people had to sacrafice because of him. He makes it harder for good people to get loans. What if no one ever defaulted on a loan? Less risk would decrease the cost for all of us.

No one is saying he didn't mess up/make mistakes. I guess some of you on here don't believe in forgiveness and are perfect and never have made any mistakes.

I made plenty of mistakes. Mistakes are costly. Sometimes extremely costly. I do my best not to make mistakes.

I was tought to be a man of my word. I was also taught to pay my debts. When seeking counselling, I'd rather listen to someone of my own creed and character.

Walk into the bank with me some time. You generally can listen to the banker beg me to take a loan if he spots me. Caterpillar is paid for. Backhoe is paid for. Trucks and tractors are paid for. I was good for my debts and they appreciate it. There was a time in my life I had to beg for money to drill a well. I don't bank with the banks who refused me then. They want me too. Some have become friends over the past 30 years.

My word is good and it always has been. It doesn't have anything to do with making mistakes. If I shake hands with you and tell you its a deal, you can count on it. Whether you believe that or not I don't care. Doesn't matter one iota.

Just about everyone has debt. Problem here is too many folks have debt at 20% + levels of interest. If it takes a talk show host to realize I'm in trouble borrowing money at exhorbitant rates, I need my head examined.Nobody here sounding off thinks they're perfect by any means.I just dont like someone like Ramsey profiting off the dumb a$$es of society.

"Good Grief" is right! I was simply voicing my opinion.. funny how that upset some of you so much. So I don't appreciate someone who has filed bankruptcy now making money telling others how to make millions. I didn't think that was a direct jab at anyone.. so quit acting like I offended you. You're welcome to listen to whomever you want.

But please don't assume I haven't worked hard to get where I am. We lived in a car at one point. I've worked three jobs at a time. Not a problem. I don't mind working hard for what I have, and I probably appreciate everything more because of the effort it took.

Crowderfarms":2dvpu8c5 said:
Just about everyone has debt. Problem here is too many folks have debt at 20% + levels of interest. If it takes a talk show host to realize I'm in trouble borrowing money at exhorbitant rates, I need my head examined.Nobody here sounding off thinks they're perfect by any means.I just dont like someone like Ramsey profiting off the dumb a$$es of society.

Those used car salesmen at the "Tote the Note" dealerships can charge the legal limit on interest. Amazingly, people buy them. Most of those folks have no choice.

If banks don't loan money, they'll soon be out of business. No different than a merchant selling goods. If you have good credit with a good track record having never defaulted on loans, they appreciate your business. It is just as amazing that people don't understand this.

backhoeboogie":3117tgzi said:
If he declared bankruptcy in the first place, he's not a man of his word.

If you steal a man's property, and then pay restitution, it doesn't change the fact that you were a thief. The victim did without what was stolen for a period of time, even if you replace it. Hence, no matter how much restitution he pays to his debtors, people had to sacrafice because of him. He makes it harder for good people to get loans. What if no one ever defaulted on a loan? Less risk would decrease the cost for all of us.

OHH yea.....I bet your life is just falling to pieces because of him. Get real. Im guessing youve never made a mistake. Your not living in the real world....

TheBullLady":1dneuy2g said:
"Good Grief" is right! I was simply voicing my opinion.. funny how that upset some of you so much. So I don't appreciate someone who has filed bankruptcy now making money telling others how to make millions. I didn't think that was a direct jab at anyone.. so quit acting like I offended you. You're welcome to listen to whomever you want.

But please don't assume I haven't worked hard to get where I am. We lived in a car at one point. I've worked three jobs at a time. Not a problem. I don't mind working hard for what I have, and I probably appreciate everything more because of the effort it took.

First of all hes does not teach people how to make millions. And please dont try to get people to feel sorry for you by telling all of us how rough you had it back in the day. Sounds to me like you almost worked as hard as Ramsey did....

hg.. I'm having a hard time figuring out why the fact that I don't think this guy is worth listening to is a BIG DEAL. You like him, great! You listen, I won't. You have an opinion, so do I.

TheBullLady":3vwee9fw said:
hg.. I'm having a hard time figuring out why the fact that I don't think this guy is worth listening to is a BIG DEAL. You like him, great! You listen, I won't. You have an opinion, so do I.

Yea...I guess I have been over reacting.Like you said, we all are intitled to our opinions. I feel like people are hating on him and they dont even know him. Weather we like him or not we still dont know the specifics of this mans life. Yet people are on here saying he makes it harder on "good people". Just dont get it. But im sorry for jumping on you like that.....a bit too deffensive i guess!

I just found it kind of ironic that people said 'why get financial advice from someone who has had financial trouble' which may sound logical. But the guy teaches people to get out of debt. If you need advice on getting out of debt who is going to have more insight, someone who has never been deep in debt or someone who has and has climbed out?

It seemed like there were a lot of people writing him off without knowing anything about him or what he tries to teach. I don't think he teaches people how to get rich, but rather how to get out of debt. If your not in financial trouble there is no need to listen to him in the first place. But if you are and he can help, how does that make him a bad guy?

But like I said before, I am only vaguely familiar with him and I could be off base.

Pay your debt and you'll get out of debt. :lol: :lol:

If you go in debt for a $100K piece of equipment that grosses $200K a year, why in the heck do you want to get out of debt? You want to lose $200K a year so that you are out of debt for $100K? That is bad business. Terribly bad. At the same time, if that $100K debt doesn't make you money, you should never have bit.

For personal items you can do a business case analysis the same way. Spend $1,000 a month on rent and you never accumulate equity. Spend $1,200 a month on house payments and you are money ahead gaining equity, tax interests deductions etc. etc. Better to be in debt than rent.

Don't take my word for it. Talk to a CPA. That's what I'd do. If not I would make more mistakes.

Latest posts