Ran out of wormer

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586

Reaction score
I was about a 550# dose short of having enough to cover my last cow...Now what? Do I start her over, how long do I wait to re-treat? Dang it!

You can retreat her or you can leave her alone. You may or may not have gotten enough wormer on her to be effective. Personally, if she were mine I would probably retreat.

Who hasn't been there? I could come up with some long drawn out answer. Instead I 'll tell you honestly what I would do in the heat of the battle and that is swing the gate open and let her go, catch her next time. Right or wrong I knows that's what I would do.

Larry

larryshoat":2l7gout3 said:
swing the gate open and let her go, catch her next time. Right or wrong I knows that's what I would do.

Larry

That happened to me one time, and I did as Larry posted. That was the day I learned to over-estimate what I would need.

To the best of my recollection the cow suffered no ill effects as a result.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":1gk84rr4 said:
larryshoat":1gk84rr4 said:
swing the gate open and let her go, catch her next time. Right or wrong I knows that's what I would do.

Larry

That happened to me one time, and I did as Larry posted. That was the day I learned to over-estimate what I would need.

To the best of my recollection the cow suffered no ill effects as a result.

Katherine
Well basically I am wondering if the short dose will do any good at all??? I thought I had calculated that I had just enough left for her but...... I have no problem getting more and re treating but is it safe to retreat again soon? How soon is too soon?? I guess I will call my vet on Tuesday and pose the question...Thanks for your comments and input. I appreciate it. :tiphat:

If it were my cow I'd treat her like she got nothing and when I had more wormer I'd give her the full dose.

Well, if it were here - we would kick them all out on pasture and let her go on her own until the next time we ran the whole bunch through.

She will be fine until then. And you can be sure her world will not fall apart.

I would not give it a second thought - other than - "See you next time sweetie"

And I would make sure I had a little extra on hand the next time around.

Cheers

Bez+

It won't hurt to treat her with a full dose today or tomorrow or anytime thereafter. Read the label on your wormer and see if it doesn't say that in testing the product, they dosed cows with ten times the recommended dosage with no ill side effects. That's what it says on all the labels of the many brands of wormers I've used.

Latest posts