Rams

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I saw a dead bull snake on the road and it was nearly 80 degrees. So I declare today opening day of snake season. Took a drive up the canyon to catch a snake crossing the road. Didn't see a single snake. But we did see a group of 7 Bighorn rams. They weren't at all spooked by the pickup. Two were on the other side of the river and 5 on the road side. The river is real low right now so they had no problem wading across. We never did get the biggest one to pose for a picture. So no snakes but a successful evening drive.

P5152893.JPGP5152894.JPGP5152895.JPG

I don't understand why you would deliberately kill a bull snake. They are not dangerous and help keep the populations of voles, deer mice, etc. under control. Bull snakes are beautiful, harmless to livestock and are essential to the environment. I am very happy that you didn't find any to murder. I do like your sheep photos.

I don't understand why you would deliberately kill a bull snake. They are not dangerous and help keep the populations of voles, deer mice, etc. under control. Bull snakes are beautiful, harmless to livestock and are essential to the environment. I am very happy that you didn't find any to murder. I do like your sheep photos.
I saw a dead bull snake signifying that the snakes were out. I wasn't looking for bull snakes. I was looking for rattle snakes. Those on here who have read my summer writings know that I kill 10-20 rattle snakes every summer. Sorry that I left off the word rattle and hurt your feelings.

I saw a dead bull snake signifying that the snakes were out. I wasn't looking for bull snakes. I was looking for rattle snakes. Those on here who have read my summer writings know that I kill 10-20 rattle snakes every summer. Sorry that I left off the word rattle and hurt your feelings.
Yeah... rattle snakes kill vermin too. If you are a prairie dog murderer I have no issues with that.

Yeah... rattle snakes kill vermin too. If you are a prairie dog murderer I have no issues with that.
I don't have prairie dogs. Too far west for them. But I do kill at least one rattler a year in the yard, as many as 3 in a year. Calves, dogs, and horse all get snake bit around here. I don't need to lose any of them to a snake. And I don't want to get snake bit either.

Prairie dogs are essential to many other wildlife species. Why does anyone have to be a murder of any wildlife? You may be happy to know that most wildlife species are in decline. When they are all gone, you and your family may not survive because we need biodiversity in order for us to survive. Do you have any issues with that?

Prairie dogs are essential to many other wildlife species. Why does anyone have to be a murder of any wildlife? You may be happy to know that most wildlife species are in decline. When they are all gone, you and your family may not survive because we need biodiversity in order for us to survive. Do you have any issues with that?
Are you from Austin?

It would be nice to have prairie dogs if you could get them to contract an agreement with them to stay where they are and not infringe on your pasture... but the little suckers won't do it. When a prairie dog town infests your land and grows 50% a year, decimating every blade of grass in sight of their mounds, you might start to think about how you will be staying in the cattle business pretty soon.

I tried everything I could think of to control their spread and would have been fine if they hadn't. But shooting them and using a propane wand that filled their dens with gas and ignited it to blow them up didn't work, and the badgers weren't getting the job done either.

The county got into the act when the dogs crossed into two of my neighbor's property... and poison finished them off.

I have a tremendous respect for the environment and how it works... but prairie dogs can't be negotiated with.

I wish we had less biodiversity when it came to hippie bean suckers, and dipstick cityslickers that think killing a fly will bring about the end of the world.

I have a list of the different species of wildlife we have seen out our picture window in the living room. There are 53 different species on that list. That does not count song birds (I am not a bird watcher) or the 4 different species of snakes I have seen in the yard. The only declines around here are directly related to the bunny huggers introducing wolves and taking measures to protect mountain lions. Those two don't need to be eliminated but they do need serious effective control.

We had a several prairie dogs town that were starting to encroach into our hayfields. I shot several, but we then had a fox move in; I have not seen other prairie dog since. Glad they are gone.

We had a several prairie dogs town that were starting to encroach into our hayfields. I shot several, but we then had a fox move in; I have not seen other prairie dog since. Glad they are gone.
We had a resident fox and a badger... and the prairie dog town still grew every year. Plus heavy hunting and the propane wand with an igniter. You musta had a super fox.

We had a resident fox and a badger... and the prairie dog town still grew every year. Plus heavy hunting and the propane wand with an igniter. You musta had a super fox.
Must of been. She had two or three kits to feed. I did shoot quite a few before she moved in. I could drive up along side them and shoot out the window of the pickup. I had to be really careful how I shot, no long distance shots, it was either buildings, or roads each direction.

I don't have prairie dogs. Too far west for them. But I do kill at least one rattler a year in the yard, as many as 3 in a year. Calves, dogs, and horse all get snake bit around here. I don't need to lose any of them to a snake. And I don't want to get snake bit either.
Rattlesnake here is a dead snake.
If they last pregnant timber rattler in existence was standing between the game warden feet. I would say be real still I don't want to hit you.
I have survived just fine without Sabre tooth tigers Ivory Bill woodpeckers and I would like to add rattler's to the list.

That is my premise, too. All nuisance wildlife needs to be wanted, protected, live trapped in rural areas and taken to urban areas to be protected by the homeowners and their associations and paying members of wildlife support organizations. Those urban folks and ag-disconnected individuals just love the ways of nature and all of the critters, like Ellie May Clampett. Every city and town yard deserves a pair of skunks, several possums, some prairie dogs, groundhogs, all varieties of snakes... Add some raccoons to eat the pet food, some wolves, coyotes and eagles to control the pet population to allow for more wildlife and life will be "...happily ever after". Keep chlorine out of pools to let the mosquitos and vectors breed. And by all means, increase parks and green space to create great roosting places for buzzards, flocks of blackbirds, increase the chance to have some beavers in the creeks and golf course water hazzards and hope for some cougars on the prowl. I almost forgot the wild hogs and wild horses. They can roam the parks. After all, all urban places used to be wildlife habitat. Those areas need to be recovered for the sake of the wildlife. Why only focus on agricultural and rural areas? Let's restore, restore, restore... EVERYWHERE!

I may have declared May 16 the opening of snake season but today I killed my first one for the year. 9 rattles and a button. I am guessing about 3 feet long which is good snake for this area. It was on the road just down from our driveway. I played French revolution, off with his head.

Latest posts