Ram 1500 diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

Dogs and Cows":271cwpix said:
Silly question here...but is the towing capacity greater on the 1/2 ton diesel truck compared to a gas burner? For instance...I don't need a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck...but I do some hauling...just not enough to justify the big truck. Would the diesel 1/2 ton be an option for an occasional tow job???

Tim
We put a gooseneck hitch in dads, if you don't ever pull more than 9 or 10000lbs I think it's what everyone should be driving. As far as the same truck in a gas engine I think they are rated the same.

Funny the tow rating on these 1/2 ton gas burners. It's a bad joke, ever seen one pulling a camper on the interstate? Rear bumper about dragging the pavement in the slow lane going 55mph out of OD and rev'd to the moon. Amazes me how the general public is still scared to own a diesel 3/4 ton truck. They'd rather over work a 1/2 ton.

Calhoun Farm":1t9a7evh said:
Funny the tow rating on these 1/2 ton gas burners. It's a bad joke, ever seen one pulling a camper on the interstate? Rear bumper about dragging the pavement in the slow lane going 55mph out of OD and rev'd to the moon. Amazes me how the general public is still scared to own a diesel 3/4 ton truck. They'd rather over work a 1/2 ton.
That's right, and on a bumper hitch I wouldn't think of pulling over 6 or 7000lbs. That 9250 better be in a gooseneck.

denvermartinfarms":3ocdyif2 said:
Calhoun Farm":3ocdyif2 said:
That's right, and on a bumper hitch I wouldn't think of pulling over 6 or 7000lbs. That 9250 better be in a gooseneck.

Agree. I've done enough serious 16' bumper pull stock trailer towing with a half ton and don't recommend it. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be. Of course this was with a high-geared Ford F150 with a 300 six so I was asking for trouble. :roll:

denvermartinfarms":28hby2kp said:
Calhoun Farm":28hby2kp said:

I have seen trucks squatted as well, but there should be very little sag if a weight dist. Hitch is set up properly. My camper weighs in at 8k loaded up ready to go. On my f-150
The rear is around two inches lower than the front when I am hooked up. Most people do not get enough pressure on their bars to get much weight on the front axle.. As good as this setup handles 8k lbs, 11k lbs should not be a problem IF they are set up right.

John SD":258w30ya said:
denvermartinfarms":258w30ya said:
Calhoun Farm":258w30ya said:

Agree. I've done enough serious 16' bumper pull stock trailer towing with a half ton and don't recommend it. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be. Of course this was with a high-geared Ford F150 with a 300 six so I was asking for trouble. :roll:

These new half tons are much better for towing than your old f-150.
Your old 300 had 160 hp and weighed around 3800lbs. My f-150 has 365hp and weighs around 6800lbs. About the only thing they have in common is the name.

Latest posts