Rake Question

Help Support CattleToday:

TomW

Reaction score
I will be looking for a new rake soon. I only do about 15 acres of mixed grass/timothy. Three styles of rakes as far as I can tell- roller bar (like I use now) circular tedder type, and the big 3 or more wheel things where the wheel is perpendicular to the ground.
I would be thankful for any insight or comments. The big vertical one seems to be reasonable priced while the other two are way up there (new)
thanks in advance
tom

We have a Hesston tedder/rake, dont think it was too expensive but that might be the way to go so you can ted and rake instead of having two totally different machines.

In smaller hay fields, which around here tend to be very irregular in shape, the old side delivery tupe rake works best. It
s more manueverable then the wheel rake types but that's mostly a physiucal size deal.

dun

I have two types. One is an old side delivery ford rake that I can lift with the three-point hitch. It takes about an 8-foot swath but works great for making the windrows exactly like I want them and works in tight places. In order to make a windrow, you first go one direction and then come back the other direction and rake toward the first pass windrow. With a little experimenting, you can nuzzle the second pass just next to the first pass and make a very narrow and net windrow.
The other rake I have is an old M&W 8-wheel rake. It hooks to the drawbar and raises using hydraulics to fold up. I can still back up, turn around, and run over other windrows with it folded but it ain't the best.
For saving time, the old M&W is great and I use it most of the time but for a small patch, you can't beet the old ford.
I would say if all you are doing is 20 acres 3 times, a year the old side delivery will be fine.

Looking at wheel rakes you need to consider the lay of the land. In this area, the ones that don't have independent travel wheels leave hay in low spots.
Massey used to make a 3-pt 4 wheel rake that could be flipped over to tedder. But if you weren't careful driving the windows would be crooked.

You can put more hay in a crooked windrow than a streight one. That my excuse.

rkm":3w18sivh said:
You can put more hay in a crooked windrow than a streight one. That my excuse.

Excuse is the wrong term. Makes it sound like you do it by accident. Instead of "excuse" you should use "reason".

dun

TomW":1nw4ik8x said:
I will be looking for a new rake soon. I only do about 15 acres of mixed grass/timothy. Three styles of rakes as far as I can tell- roller bar (like I use now) circular tedder type, and the big 3 or more wheel things where the wheel is perpendicular to the ground.
I would be thankful for any insight or comments. The big vertical one seems to be reasonable priced while the other two are way up there (new)
thanks in advance
tom

I use a NH 254 rotary and can tedder with it also. Only use it to tedder if hay gets rained on. That type of rake isn't for every operation but has worked very well for me. I have a small round baler(8430 CIH) and the windrow needs to be smaller than for some of the larger round balers.

I can get more hay in the roll with the rotary rake than a reel'bar type. The baler also puts up a more uniform bale. Balers with larger throats need larger windrows.

I like the fact that the rotary will fluff/stand hay up. I can rake with some moisture on the hay as with the bar type I have to wait until the hay is dry enough to bale.

Keep in mind different areas have different humidity levels and different soils that play a part in drying hay. Only way I'd even think of a different style rake is if I bought a larger baler with a larger throat. And then I would look at a larger rotary rake first.

In normal hay weather in May here I cut 1st day, let it dry 2nd day and rake in the morning the 3rd day and bale that afternoon or when I finish getting it raked. Have been able to bale by 10 am but most of the time it's more like 12:00. When I had the bar rake I'd have to add another day to that.

Been looking at the Hesston rake/tedder. It's a little wider than the NH. I've heard good reviews on the Hesston. May be my next purchase. Lots of moving parts on any of the rotarys. But I've been running the 254 for 10 years and bought it used. Only parts I've bought was one set of rake teeth. It's held up well.

OK thanks for the input fellas. I have a NH 55 side delivery that need work and good bit of it. Bearing for the tine bars are over 100 dollars a bar (2 bearings). I know the rake and it will do an OK job when I fix it I was just looking to see if I might be better off with something else. The big 3-4 vertical wheel rakes have always interested me and they look to be inexpensive used. I know the 55 will do well in tight areas but my 15 acres field is a perfect rectangle with only a few rough spots.
Again thanks for the input
tom

Sometimes, if I really like an older piece of equipment, I find a "parts" piece. Most bar rakes that fall into that category could be had for less than the cost of those 2 bearings.