raising young calves

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
i only have a small place and tring to find a way to get the most bang for my buck. wanting to see what people think about raising young calves that weigh about 180lbs and get them to 400lbs or getting 300 pounders and get them to about 700. does anybody do anything like this please give me some advice.

I am thinking about the same thing. Although I am thinking about getting 250lb beef steers for $250-275 or 450 pounders for $450-500. What would be the better deal, raising and putting the money into the 250 lb(ers) or just getting the 450 lb(ers) and going from their. When I figured it out (in the long run), they both cost about the same price.

johndeereboy":te7doguo said:
I am thinking about the same thing. Although I am thinking about getting 250lb beef steers for $250-275 or 450 pounders for $450-500. What would be the better deal, raising and putting the money into the 250 lb(ers) or just getting the 450 lb(ers) and going from their. When I figured it out (in the long run), they both cost about the same price.

Wish we could find calves at that weight for that price, this week 200-300 was 1.48 - 1.62 well over 250 a head anf the 450 ran about a 1.15 putting them a little over 500.

We buy some in the 150 -200 range and raise them to 500-600 size depending on what is going on. Paid anywhere from 110 to 335 for them. Done it for several years but have really good records for the last 3 years. Average about a dollar a day after expenses profit per head.

tom4018":1awzhowk said:
johndeereboy":1awzhowk said:

Wish we could find calves at that weight for that price, this week 200-300 was 1.48 - 1.62 well over 250 a head anf the 450 ran about a 1.15 putting them a little over 500.

We buy some in the 150 -200 range and raise them to 500-600 size depending on what is going on. Paid anywhere from 110 to 335 for them. Done it for several years but have really good records for the last 3 years. Average about a dollar a day after expenses profit per head.

Do you have alot of problems (weaning, health, etc.) with that weight of calves? I have always went for the ones over 300 to 350 to avoid extra problems. Is there a big difference in the two classes?

We usually don't have too many problems with calves in the 175# range. I have bought some smaller calves and had trouble. Although some of them just take a while to get going good. For the last 3 years they have average 2 # ADG.

trin":1cr2s1az said:
wanting to see what people think about raising young calves that weigh about 180lbs and get them to 400lbs or getting 300 pounders and get them to about 700.

Calves under 325# do not usually sell well here. Some folks feel there is a higher percentage of poor doers when you buy light calves. If you have a good buyer who can pick up a couple at a time, and you have the backgrounding facility, then this can work out well. If you are grazing a limited area then you can also stock more animals per acre when they are lighter.

180 and selling at 500 will be more profitable.

Know your source for health reasons.

Watch them closely and be agressive on health issues(early signs of sickness .... a must)

Buying groups from a single source is better.(ones and twos often are being sold for a reason)

Weather at time of animal movement is important(wisking them thru cold/most air under stress should be avoided).

Be prepared to loose 2-3% to sickness.

Latest posts