Raising vs buying replacement heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":6sun3uxk said:
These heifers are going to die of old age before this board decides to buy them or retain.

:lol2: :lol2: :nod: I reckon so. your 3 in 1 argument went over their heads

Caustic Burno":vqxbb05w said:
These heifers are going to die of old age before this board decides to buy them or retain.
Heck caustic I don't care what way anybody does it. All I'm saying is if a person expenses the heifer out at a cost of $815 compared to purchasing one at $1200. A person can't then say that they lost an additional $500.00 on the retained heifer by keeping her on the farm instead of selling her, plus expensing her out at the same time thats double dipping. One way or the other aplus has either lost income on the heifer or he has paid expenses on the heifer but he can't do both. Unless of course he is trying to tell everyone the $500 he loses is net profit after expensing the heifer. If that is the case I need to get my knee boots on because it is getting deep, or I might even want to consider just trying to save my hubcap belt buckle that I don't wear.

One thing that I think can be said for buying replacements whether cows, heifers or 3 in 1s..is that bulls can last a longtime under such a program .

We have a neighbor up the road that breeds everything to terimal sires and sells all the calves . Some of the bulls are 8 or 9 yrs of age.He keeps them till they die , are injured or fail their annual breeding soundness exam.

frenchie":1tlx9tg5 said:
Caustic Burno":1tlx9tg5 said:

:lol2: :lol2: :nod: I reckon so. your 3 in 1 argument went over their heads

I picked up on that, you are right on on helping control cost by being able to retain the bull much longer.

somn":2b9egxps said:
aplusmnt":2b9egxps said:
BUT you would loose say $500.00 from the heifer you could have sold to buy that bred, and you loose one extra calf that the bought Bred would have had that the retained one would have not had, that is another $500.00.
It appears by reading this you think that by retaining the heifer you lose $500 by not selling her and another $500 by not being able to sell the calf from the bred heifer you could have bought using the income generated by selling the retained heifer. You must be one heck of a cattle man when you can sell any age calf for a $500 profit. I guess it is possible to make $500 per calf by never paying any feed costs or cow upkeep costs.

Went back and thought about what I figured and you are right I did mess up on my figures.

I had already caught my mistake on the Bought Bred having an extra calf about an hour or so before you first post towards me.

aplusmnt":2b9egxps said:
I had a long bunch of figures showing the cost advantage of the Bred heifer over the retained heifer to post but then I thought of something I had never thought of before. I could show where it was more economical to buy a heifer bred than keep one due to 2 calf crops to the 1 calf crop in same time period. But had not factored in that the retained heifer would (if all things were same) would stay in the herd an extra year to make up that calf on the back end. That just blew my figures.

But you did bring to light another mistake, If I was going to count the revenue of the sold heifer towards a bought bred heifer then I would also have to apply the cost of raising her up till that sale point (estimated at $365 for a year of her mother).

My Bad! Sorry for the Reading Comprehension comment, obviously I have problems with Math Comprehension!

I will now reinstate my original signature at the bottom. :)

Latest posts