Raising the best dairy heifers possible?

Help Support CattleToday:

DitchBank

Reaction score
Just wondering the best ways to raise my dairy heifers. I am going to dehorn them for one but on top of that what are the best ways to raise them. I have 5 (2 jerseys, 1 milking shorthorn/jersey cross, and 2 holstein-Jersey crosses) I payed a little for them(meaning quite a bit) and am looking to keep a couple but sell the rest. What is the best ways to build the best dairy heifer possible and at what age or time is best to sale them?

High roughage, high protein low energy diet. Try and get them to breeding weight by 12-13 months, AI them to a proven low BW, preferably well known dairy sire and sell them as safe in calf or springing heifers.

Make sure you get them bangs vaccinated before yearling, corn silage diet if you can get it reliably. If not, decent hay/forage and around 1% of their body weight of a 13% grain ration.

dun":36ilgnma said:
Make sure you get them bangs vaccinated before yearling, corn silage diet if you can get it reliably. If not, decent hay/forage and around 1% of their body weight of a 13% grain ration.
Dun about hit it on the head ----Oh yea, You'll need some of this---Good Luck !! :welcome:

how old are these calves. young dairy calves require 16-17% protein grain mix. when they get up to 5-600 lbs you can drop back to 14-15% grain mix. all need good hay with grain. we always fed free choice hay & 5-6 lbs of grain. if they are over 7-8 months old you can turn them out on pasture & they will do fine. don't forget salt & minerals if not mixed in grain. avoid to much grain as it will only grow fat cells in place of milk cells

As what was said they need a top notch TMR, get a nutritionist involved and have your feed tested often. AI them at 15 months to keep those BCA's higher when they calve at 24 or under months, do not breed them too young though as their frame will suffer and with dairy cattle frame is very important, as much as milk quantity is. Also keep up on their health protocol.