Raising Hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Homesteading Today. Another board that has a good variety of different livestock, poultry, and general subjects. Very well layed out.

It probably doesn't qualify as raising hogs, but our area is having a heck of a problem with large groups of feral hogs that come through from time to time and root up the hay meadows, tear up the pastures, etc.

Check out this bad boy! This is one Texas sized HOG!

BigHog.jpg

Not sure where in Texas it was killed a couple of years ago.
;-)

D.R. Cattle":3jhlmg6f said:
I saw that picture not long ago and the caption said it was killed in Arkansas.

When I saw it the claim was it was killed in CA. Must have been one tough pig to kill to cover that much ground

dun

It was actually killed in Junction City Texas. A buddy of mine in our corporate office, which is in Texas, was in the club with this fellow or so he said.

JB

CattleAnnie":1qnk3iyo said:
Exactly how big can those hogs get?

That one in the picture is HUGE! The grizzlies and blacks aren't looking so bad after seeing him.

Take care.

And they're quick, not so much fast but "sudden", although they can cover some serious ground in a hurry.
In a way it's like bulls. The uninformed think of them as an over grown Porky Pig, but they can get to you in about half a heart beat.

CattleAnnie":2uz22q68 said:
Exactly how big can those hogs get?

That one in the picture is HUGE! The grizzlies and blacks aren't looking so bad after seeing him.

Take care.

From past experiences I can tell you that he would give a grizzly or black a run for their money. Probably kill a black but I don't know about the other.

I've done so pretty serious hog huntin' and I have never seen one that big. I have killed a big sow that was as tall as I am hanging (5'9") We had to pul her up in the tree with my truck and a chain. I can attest to their sudden actions. 3 of us snuck up on a herd of about 30 of the buggers in the next field over. They looked like a herd of cows grazing. I popped a boar and the rest of them took of in a dash right towards us. It sounded like a mini war for a minute. One sow I dressed had a shot going through her lungs from both sides. One of my buddies had hit her while they were in the field and then again as they flew past, she did a nose dive and skidded into a tree on the second shot. Boy, was that a rush!

Kind of makes you think when you're half a mile from the pickup stumbling through the dark on a cloudy moonless night trying to get to your deer blind.

Craig-TX

in the past couple of years we've really had the hogs move into our area. we usually keep traps set & one week caught 26 in one trap.....most of them around 150 lbs or less. the bigger ones are harder to trap. we have some freshly planted Tifton & Klein grass that they've discovered. of course the only times we've seen them on there we've been w/o a gun! by the size of the footprints (hoofprints) one of them appears to be a pretty good sized boar. there's a good chance this weekend will bring in some hogs as well as some deer.

txshowmom":202a1yxj said:
What do you do with them after you get them trapped?

the 26 were caught in a trap we had let someone else set on our place. i'm not sure what he did with them but i think he sold them.

the big ones can bring really good money. the smaller ones (150 lbs or so) are pretty good eatin' size.

Do you know of a place that buys them. We had a trap and are wanting to sell them but need to find out where to take them.

txshowmom":13enfga6 said:
Do you know of a place that buys them. We had a trap and are wanting to sell them but need to find out where to take them.

your county agent or game warden may be able to help give you names of buyers in your area.

Latest posts