raising dairy heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

cattlepower

Reaction score
Talked with a man awhile back that raises dairy heifers only. I don't think he raised them from birth but got them weaned and sold them to large dairies when they were ready. Don't know much about this kind of operation but was curious as to whether there is potential for decent profit? He deals in large volume.

Are your sure he doesn't custom raise ? Meaning he raises the heifers for the dairies they originally came from until they are ready to breed or are springing.

After reading what is happening to the American dairy industry I don't think there is any profit in anything to do with dairy at this time. I wait until the industry gets straightened out before starting this type of venture.

hillsdown":3itthekd said:
After reading what is happening to the American dairy industry I don't think there is any profit in anything to do with dairy at this time. I wait until the industry gets straightened out before starting this type of venture.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

From what cattlepower described my first thought was that he was talking about a cusom raising outfit.

Katherine

hillsdown":2ydnco78 said:
Are your sure he doesn't custom raise ? Meaning he raises the heifers for the dairies they originally came from until they are ready to breed or are springing.

I didn't get to talk with him long about it so it very well could have been custom raising. I remember he said he has two truckloads go out every month and he employs several people so I thought he might actually be doing okay with it.

He has to be custom raising. There is no way dairies would sell off any quantity of their heifer calves. If you could find heifer calves for sale they would likely be very expensive or have lower genetic potential.

Nova, lots of dairies in Texas use to sell every calf that hit the ground. Figured they could buy replacements cheaper than they could raise them. That could be why most are no longer dairying. But there are still a few folks who buy and raise dairy calves and haul them to the dairy sales in hopes of turning a profit. Until the market went south a few months ago I'm sure they were doing pretty well.

novaman":1k5twdqo said:
He has to be custom raising. There is no way dairies would sell off any quantity of their heifer calves. If you could find heifer calves for sale they would likely be very expensive or have lower genetic potential.

Or freemartins

Latest posts