Raising dairy calves

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":39jjmyca said:
GMN":39jjmyca said:
I very seldon lose them,not saying I'm not good at it, but I don't enjoy bottle calves like other jobs on the farm, it is tedious, but I do it, because I have to.
When you enjoy something you usually tend to do it "right". That's the secret. You can't raise calves doing things half-a$$ed or you'll be lucky to save "half". I always considered it THE hardest job on the dairy.

I hven't had a sick calf in over 2 years, raised alot of them over winter, and had no problems. My point is that the smaller calves, sometimes do have issues, and they are harder to raise up, no matter what you do. I like calves, but this job does get old, just saying I can see why people with huge herds, hire this job out, its time consuming.

Even when you enjoy something doesn't mean you dont get tired of it, ya know burnt out, I don't know of anyone who hasn't said they needed a break from milking or farming in general, its like any job, except when you are self employed the work needs to get done no matter what, i can't call in sick, like a townie can, and have any joe blow do the same job.

Latest posts