Raising club calves

Help Support CattleToday:

showmomof2

Reaction score
We are in the process of selling our farm and are looking at one with less acreage (65 acres). Here's my question.We have raised commercial stock cattle for years and we have talked about trying registered stock. We have 2 limi heifers to start with and we would also like to start raising a few clubby calves to sell. My kids have started showing and we would like to get more involvement in our county and surrounding area. Our county fair had a total of 25 head of cattle and 9 of them was ours! Does anyone have any experience in this area? We want to stay involved in cattle but want something that we can market differently than the sale barn. If you have the right blood lines can you make any more going this route? I just need to hear from someone that has been there. Thanks!

if you got the genetics, then you should be able to make it happen. it can be done. good luck

You can make more money, but it also costs a lot more money. It's also a lot different market, and marketing raising club calves.

showmomof2":2pi8ynpm said:
We are in the process of selling our farm and are looking at one with less acreage (65 acres). Here's my question.We have raised commercial stock cattle for years and we have talked about trying registered stock. We have 2 limi heifers to start with and we would also like to start raising a few clubby calves to sell. My kids have started showing and we would like to get more involvement in our county and surrounding area. Our county fair had a total of 25 head of cattle and 9 of them was ours! Does anyone have any experience in this area? We want to stay involved in cattle but want something that we can market differently than the sale barn. If you have the right blood lines can you make any more going this route? I just need to hear from someone that has been there. Thanks!

I would think you could make more money raising registered cattle over club calves. We don't have any problem selling our heifers and make a premium over market price. The steers we sell for locker beef locally and make a premium on them also.

Where are you in Arkansas?

Your situation is great for starting a club calf operation

I would invest in some great dams breed or your choice start with as many as the budget will alow. Then buy some semen of the best bulls out there with great bloodlines and winning records and breed them to your dams and repeat this breeding proccess every year. Once you got some good looking calves have your two kids show them and market your operation remember not all calves are show quality. Once you get kids in your area calling you dont try to make a quick buck sell them the best animals you have at the least price possible ( Dont give it away but beat your compitions price) Pricing is one of the most import factors of a kid buying an animal so be careful with the pricing. Once you have sold a certain amount where kids know your the place to go for a oustanding animals for the price they will start comming more and then your calves can ask a higher price little by little. You also can offer different services such as halter breaking the calves, clipping and fitting for first show, help with feeding rations, financing, buy back program of some sort, help with breeding, give $50+ for every class winner/ grand champ or something along those lines, you could pick and choose what programs also work for you GOOD LUCK

The Show Circuit magazine was 500 pages this fall. Everybody and their dog is trying to sell a club calf. My advice would be to tour around and look at other operations and figure out if it would work for you. The club calf business is a crap shoot and a lot of crap is sold. Most club calf bulls are here today and gone this afternoon. Birthweights and cripple calves tend to be higher also.

IHawkeye good post and points. Most people think it is easy, they don't see all the work done at home. In the club or PB business people done realize the time and dedication not to mention all the crap involved.It is one thing to have kids win at a local fair it is quite another to compete at the next level that is a giant step above.

We don't raise show calves, but.....
Before you do it. You have to be very aware of the work involved and the expense.
Those calves need really great feed to start with, if you want to sell them for top dollar, it wouldn't hurt to have them halter broke, and that hair trained to help them look pretty.
Good luck, I wish you the best!!

I still think a small herd of registered Red Polls will make you more money than the club calf business. Like others have said the club calf business is a lot of work plus it doesn't sound like you would have many people to sell to in your area with only 16 other head at your county fair.

I travel to Harrison and Mt Home for business.

If you are looking into moving into a purebred operation I would recomend that you look at more than one breed to make a decision. It really depends on the area that you are in.

Take a look at the breeds that do well in your area. Also look at whether you want to have the same ones as your neighbors, or something that will help make your neighbors cattle better.

I have been invloved with more than one breed and it really depends on what fits your needs and the needs of the area that you are in.

we sold our first club calf steer this week, its alot of work, and TIME listen to the post above, they know what they are talkign about.
we just started out with some cows and a bull, mostly just for freezer beef, and a hobby, but once our son got into 4H and the prices people were charging for "show steers" we thought it was rediculous why we werent using our own steers, so we got better quality cow, started AIing and went from there. we had a res.grand and a few med wieght grand from our farm, we also went to the Pa farm show, we did fairly well, we didnt come in dead last, so that is good we came in third out of a group of 8, not bad considering how much some of these people paid for there steers. lol
it just takes alot of time, money and patients

If you don't absolutely love checking heats, AIing, halter breaking calves, fitting, and promoting your cattle; it's a waste of time and a lot of money.

Latest posts