raising charolais for the fair

Help Support CattleToday:

Since it is a Charolais, You need to use whitner (blueing) in his soap or the oil in his skin will make him look dirty. Take him to someone you know in your area to get his feet trimmed.

ollie":ytxxp9vi said:
Since it is a Charolais, You need to use whitner (blueing) in his soap or the oil in his skin will make him look dirty. Take him to someone you know in your area to get his feet trimmed.
Hey, thanks! Blueing, isn't that what they put in laundry "in the good ol' days" to whiten it?! ;-)

la4angus":7rcq8exl said:
I would stay clear of the shampoos at the farm supply store.
Horse hoof trimming kits, I know nothing about.
A horse killed me when I was 20 and now all I know about horses
is which ones to bet on at the track.
Well, I'm sorry to hear you were killed by a horse, but I sure am glad your ghost has been helping me! You're funny! Stay away from the track, I hear that isn't always good for your health either! :lol:

On the topic of hoof trimming, look for a person that does cows. Horses and cows are completely different and the ferrier does not have the right equipment to do a cow. Your local AG teacher will know of a person in your area who does hoof trimming. There should be a few around because everyone else at the show will have their cows done.

lazyhill":3j2vprzb said:
On the topic of hoof trimming, look for a person that does cows. Horses and cows are completely different and the ferrier does not have the right equipment to do a cow. Your local AG teacher will know of a person in your area who does hoof trimming. There should be a few around because everyone else at the show will have their cows done.
Hey thanks! Not the fondest of our AG teachers, which is why we go 4-H, but I can ask them that. Thanks, for the input. I'll tell my husband to put the horse stuff away!

4-Her Mom":2vgw822l said:
lazyhill":2vgw822l said:
Hey thanks! Not the fondest of our AG teachers, which is why we go 4-H, but I can ask them that. Thanks, for the input. I'll tell my husband to put the horse stuff away!

Your local county agent would be able to steer you in the right direction as well as the ag. teacher

Mom,
How about those pictures. We might be able to look and save you alot of trouble trying to be competative when you are not going to be able to, or we might be able to see something obvious (more or less feed) to help you. Either way it sure is nice of the fella to give you the calf and if your not competative this year you have to pay your dues sometime.

ollie":1l4w539b said:
Mom,
How about those pictures. We might be able to look and save you alot of trouble trying to be competative when you are not going to be able to, or we might be able to see something obvious (more or less feed) to help you. Either way it sure is nice of the fella to give you the calf and if your not competative this year you have to pay your dues sometime.
Wow! You must be a cowboy, you're cracking that whip on me! OUCH!
I'm working on the pictures....I don't have a digital camera and I have to work around my friends schedule. She's going to come take the pics. It's her camera, I don't want the responsibility of dropping it in manure or something....you know accidents happen! Anyway, she's coming soon, very soon and then I'll get those pics on the site. I appreciate your eagerness to help me! Whew, ya'll are workers, huh? :p

Okay, I have another "dumb" question. Is it okay for my daughter to hose the cow down when it is really hot outside. It was so hot here yesterday, we had trouble being outside for long periods of time. My daughter wanted to hose the cow down to cool him off. She did, but I didn't know if the sudden temperature change was okay or not. We don't have hot water at the barn, just cool well water. She hosed him and then let him "air" dry. I know as a person, I've gone from being really hot to the air conditioned house and gotten a little queasy. If it makes me sick, I didn't know if it would hurt the cow. :?:

4-Her Mom":7uza32b0 said:
Okay, I have another "dumb" question. Is it okay for my daughter to hose the cow down when it is really hot outside. It was so hot here yesterday, we had trouble being outside for long periods of time. My daughter wanted to hose the cow down to cool him off. She did, but I didn't know if the sudden temperature change was okay or not. We don't have hot water at the barn, just cool well water. She hosed him and then let him "air" dry. I know as a person, I've gone from being really hot to the air conditioned house and gotten a little queasy. If it makes me sick, I didn't know if it would hurt the cow. :?:
You could put a fan blowing with a "Mister" attached to it. This will probaly bring the temperature down 15 to 20 degrees.

4-Her Mom":262tywzi said:
That would be fine. While he is wet and as he is drying keep brushing the hair forward to straighten it out so you can clip it.

Some of the advice you have gotten on here is good and some not so good. You need to rince him everyday, especially when its hot. I would wash him about 1 a week and use a livestock shampoo. Sullivans make a bright lighgts soap for white cattle the soap is purple but it works. You can also use Maine and Tail and you can get that at Wal-mart. You can NOT trim him like a horse. A steer wont stad there and let you pick up his foot and trim it. You need to find a cattle hoove trimmer. They will strap him to a table that turns him on his side and they use a grinder to sand down the hooves.

txshowmom":7bmbpclj said:
A steer wont stad there and let you pick up his foot and trim it.

A properly trained steer will. The horse people were alwasy amazed when we picked up the oxens feet and worked on them. That's just part of the training that good oxen (and I would think show steers) receive.

dun

dun":202wkeob said:
txshowmom":202wkeob said:
A steer wont stad there and let you pick up his foot and trim it.

A properly trained steer will. The horse people were alwasy amazed when we picked up the oxens feet and worked on them. That's just part of the training that good oxen (and I would think show steers) receive.

dun

We are thinking that we can trim him....he's very gentle....gets sleepy when you rinse him with the hose and blow him dry. He loves to be brushed and we have been able to pick up his feet and exam them. He does just stand there. Maybe that's just this particular calf's personality, but he just doesn't seem to mind. We'll be ready just in case he decides he doesn't like it.

Thanks everyone for all your advice and suggestions. Much appreciated.
I am signing off for a while...evacuating before Hurricane Jeanne arrives. Will not be able to ask or answer any more questions for awhile. Pray for all of us in the path of this storm............

I agree with Dun,
Lots of training. My seven month old bull lets me pick up his front feet easy. Still working on the back. He likes being rubbed all over, just don't like back feet picked up.... yet.

Latest posts