raising calves and problems with scours, etc.

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We are raising 8 bottle calves. half holstein and half black angus and 2 appear to have some brown swiss mixed in. they are about 2-3 weeks old now and came from wisconsin, a couple still had umbilical cords attached but drying up and we got them going on a little less than 2 weeks ago. been having lots of trouble with scours and respiratory. meds we have used and now use are scour pills, apralan,xcenel(spelling-sorry),tried pepto bismal today,have bentamine(spelling again) to pick up at vets today for congestion.. they have very good appetites, drink lots of water from the bucket and bottle and are also eating grain with molasses, etc. in it..we are getting hay for them today too..the milk replacer they are on is kents and we give 2 qts. @ 2 xs a day each..does anyone know what we are doing wrong or should be doing to help them. we get them better and then it seems to go back and forth again.also, when would you begin to wean and how much milk to drop to for how long when they began eating even a lb. of grain each..what age is good to start. this is the first time for calves for us..thanks, vickie :p

You are killing off all the good gut bacteria and not putting any back with the antibiotics. Give them Pro-bios, or any other brand, or live bacteria yoghurt. I also wouldn't give them water in the bottle they are used to drinking milk from. They need to twist their head to get the milk into the correct stomach and the water shouldn't take that route. I'd also make sure they were getting at least a cup of fluid milk mixed with each bottle of formula for the enzymes it contains.
Are they dehydrating? If you pull the skin up does it go right back or stay up for several seconds?

I have had really good luck with giving Probios and a middle of the day feeding of electrolytes. Check for temp with the ones that are having respir. problems. If they have a temp I would get some Nuflor.

It sounds like they may be relapsing.. that's a problem if you have them all housed together. If you can separate the sick ones from the healthy calves, that should help.

When I raised bottle calves, I had good luck putting more replacer in the bottle then the "recommended" amount. It's not price effective, but your calves will look a lot better. They need the extra fat to keep from getting that "potbelly" look that bottle calves are notorious for.

Make sure they have free choice grain, hay and water available.. they need to drink water, to keep from dehydrating. As long as you can keep liquids in them, they should be able to shake the scours.

Hello again. I just read the replies i have gotten on my calves.. Thank You all for the much appreciated wisdom..I had no idea calves had to turn their heads like that. We have been making sure they stood straight to eat so their milk would go down good, and great news on calves getting potbellies..keep the mail coming, we need it..After i wrote this we went to pick up Tylan 200 for the calves upon the vets advice and got back home, checked on them and all had improved so much that we took the Tylan back today to the vet..The scours have gone completely after the pepto bismal treatment and the respiratory is all but gone too..They are all running and acting like they should..We got fresh cut hay yesterday and several have started eating it too..It is amazing how fast they went from poor to very good in hours. Just a short bit ago my husband had a call from someone who heard how well we were doing with the calves and they want us to raise theirs up to weaning too--but guess what? Its not 8 like we have now, its 50 each cycle..............oh my..My husband has already started devising plans on how he wants to build the feeding system for them..lol.......I dont know, sounds like an adventure to me but can we do it? I'll let you know how it turns out and our decision.. I have no doubt that if we do it, i'll be writing you for wisdommmmmmmmmm.. :D Vickie

Hi. Just a quick note to let you know my husband has come to his senses at last.. He decided we need more experience to handle 50 calves and a better system to feed all of them.. So, Im relieved.. Our calves are doing great and we are having to fill their grain dish up every feeding now and they are eating all of the hay too..So, I guess they are on their way to being weaned soon.Any specific age weaning should begin would be appreciated and how much to decrease their milk at each feeding..Vets are good but im finding experience of others is SUPER.. Thanks again, vickie :D

vickie":28da17u0 said:
Hi. Just a quick note to let you know my husband has come to his senses at last.. He decided we need more experience to handle 50 calves and a better system to feed all of them.. So, Im relieved.. Our calves are doing great and we are having to fill their grain dish up every feeding now and they are eating all of the hay too..So, I guess they are on their way to being weaned soon.Any specific age weaning should begin would be appreciated and how much to decrease their milk at each feeding..Vets are good but im finding experience of others is SUPER.. Thanks again, vickie :D

When they are eating at least 2 plus pounds of good quality calf starter a day, just quit the milk replacer. Yes they'll raise cane, they'll give it up fairly quickly.

dun

I just wondered how much pepto you gave them? I have a calf that was almost dead this morning, lying on his side and kicking a little, his nose was coooold. He couldnt sit or stand by himself. Joe gave him a shot becuause I got him to drink a half bottle. I propped him up and went back an hour later. He drank, a bottle and a half of water w/ milk replacer,(half the recommended amount,) and 4 oz karo, and 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp baking soda. When I got through he was stnding and I couldnt force him to lay back down. I went out again at one he was asleep and at three he stood up very shakily and just squirted everywhere, like water. We are giving him a sulfa pill in a lttile while but I wondered if pepto might help. At this point I have to stop the scours. He will lose more than I can replace.

Reply to scours calf,

sounds like he was shockey

Did good with salt/baking soda, Karo, etc.

Let gut rest a while only givew water in between feeding every 12 hours, also put some probios in him to get his gut going again, sounds like he could use a good shot of Gentocin,/Naxcell/Excenell/Nuflore use 1.5 time the recommended dose, if he has BVD or an e. coli overgrowth, you need to give the gut some rest, also if he has a temp, get some Banamine onbord to help reduce the fever fast, or you will lose him to dehydration

Pepto is great for calves with the scours, but you'll also have to make sure you keep him rehydrated until the pathogen that's creating the scours is gone. When I raised bottle calves I'd supplement three milk feedings a day with two intbetween of electrolytes. If you can keep him eating fluids, the scours should clear up in a few days.

Good luck!

Latest posts