Raising Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Does anyone raise strictly intact bulls till they are mature then sell them ? If so do you pasture them all in the same pasture? I was thinking of raising 5 angus bulls in the same pasture then taking them off to the market when they mature.

I don't raise bulls, but sell corn to a guy that raises only bulls. No females around, so they seem to get along. Only minor fighting that I've seen.

I don't think there would be anything wrong with five bulls in on pasture i know people who run 40 to 50 cows in a herd and will have two or three mature bulls with them. how big are you wanting them to be when you sell them? are they somthing that will sell for breeding. around here if you want a bull for breeding you realy don't buy one at a regular sale. i dont think i would want to feed bulls if i could feed steers. any reason for bulls. i may not know enugh about what you are wanting to do to be able to help much.

I was just toying with the idea. I would want to sell them at around 400-600lbs. I am just toying with different ideas. There is quite a few guys around here that want to raise there bulls that are basically just getting into cattle business that go to the sales to purchase one of that size to raise. I myself am fairly new to the cattle business and am learning as I go. I primarily raise beans and corn but I am still learning cattle. I guess I am trying to maximize my profits on the cattle the best I can so I am toying with different ideas.

skyhightree1":3ruk6sq3 said:
I was just toying with the idea. I would want to sell them at around 400-600lbs. I am just toying with different ideas. There is quite a few guys around here that want to raise there bulls that are basically just getting into cattle business that go to the sales to purchase one of that size to raise. I myself am fairly new to the cattle business and am learning as I go. I primarily raise beans and corn but I am still learning cattle. I guess I am trying to maximize my profits on the cattle the best I can so I am toying with different ideas.

If you're selling them at 400-600lbs. then you are not raising bulls. You are raising feeder calves. Whoever buys them will most likely castrate them and grow/feed them out as steers. Usally intact bulls at that age are discounted $10cwt. or so, but right now there is not much difference in price between them and steer calves.

That is I guess the answer I was looking for which makes perfect sense but I was thinking of raising to a mature bull then sell them but decided id rather sell them as you stated feeder calves and let someone else finish them but you are 100% correct.Here is our auction results from yesterday just FYI.. which definately explains what Mid south said...

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/rh_ls148.txt

I have a 5 acre pasture that I keep my bulls in together . Use to have 4 bulls in there with out any problems .

skyhightree1":3ir0nklt said:

Your cows should be raising calves to 400-600lbs, not you... :2cents:

Sounds like you are wanting a few stockers... I don't know anyone buying young bulls, raising them, then selling them at the sale barn as breeding stock. :?

we let our mama cows raise their own babies. after weaning we put them in to a yearling winter pasture. they get a ration of sweet feed mix once a week and a round bale of hay every other day. we also leave salt and mineral blocks out for them to lick. it works for us and whwn we sell they are about 15 months old.

Your cows should be raising calves to 400-600lbs, not you... << I agree with this completely

Latest posts