raising bottle calves

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboybeef

Reaction score
hi
im am currently running 4 head of beef cows and im looking to get into dairy farming like my grandpas did we currently only raise beef cows but i want to start raing dairy heifers to start my own herd with in 2 or 3 years . i ahve bottle fed before but i have not had the best luck out of the 17 only 10 have survived i was looking for your guys opions on how you bottle feed for better results cause dairy heifers here are still going for 250-300

i would not buy high dollar hol heifer bottle babies.the losses are to costly.if i was you id buy 300lb hol heifers,

They are going cheap because they cost so much to feed, as well as the work involved.

I would say put your 4 head in calf. When they calve purchase a heifer and introduce it to the cow so as right from the get go they are feeding two calves. If they have huge udders and a lot of milk they might even be able to rear 3 calves for you. I have done that with a cow with a huge udder and too much milk.

However you have to look after the cows and it would be better to feed them, and you can wean them early and start feeding them to help look after her.

If you are unlucky she won't accept them and you will still have to feed them at least twice a day, even if it is just standing there while they suck off her.

Here is a link to a very well discussed topic of raising bottle calves. Lots of folks on that discussion board put a lot of time into rearing the calves from birth to breeding age. I'd recommend reading it through if you have the time.

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showth ... p?t=284758

As a side note, heifer calves are cheap enough to buy now if you have plans to get into dairying. Just don't put the cart before the horse. You might try contacting a milk cooperative and making sure they will accept your milk once you produce it. As I understand, most coops aren't accepting new contracts from small suppliers right now due to the volatility of milk prices at the time.

Good luck and Godspeed to you on your venture.

francismilker":1kbqg4hp said:
Here is a link to a very well discussed topic of raising bottle calves. Lots of folks on that discussion board put a lot of time into rearing the calves from birth to breeding age. I'd recommend reading it through if you have the time.

As a side note, heifer calves are cheap enough to buy now if you have plans to get into dairying. Just don't put the cart before the horse. You might try contacting a milk cooperative and making sure they will accept your milk once you produce it. As I understand, most coops aren't accepting new contracts from small suppliers right now due to the volatility of milk prices at the time.

Francis anybody wanting to go into the dairy business right now needs to visit a shrink first. Even if he's got plenty of money "to begin with".

TexasBred":29lj4eow said:
francismilker":29lj4eow said:

Francis anybody wanting to go into the dairy business right now needs to visit a shrink first. Even if he's got plenty of money "to begin with".
I took our dairy over full time a couple years ago. I will admit I could use a shrink as well :lol: . I do agree that entering the dairy industry now is a very risky deal. It is a struggle for those of use who are established. There are so many things that come up when you first start and you can burn through a lot of money and equity in no time just to get up and running.

Really hurts when you know you're a good manager..you're worked hard...you've made good decision, yet at the end of the month you've still lost money. Just so many things that are out of your control.