Raising a steer for beef questions...

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
I think I have the wife talked into keep a steer for us, maybe fins someone to go in with us to take part of it.

I know most facilities seem to be out several months on getting one done here. Hearing after the first of the year.

Any tips on feeding one? What kind of gain will they have as they get bigger? Just want to plan, got a couple now one is 550 range and the other 750, wanted to make a decision before I sell these or plan on keeping spring calf.

Don't know if it's right or wrong but I just run the steers with heifers or young bulls until a 3-4 months before the process time. So far our have been around 15-16 months old and around 1300-1400 lbs. They are on pasture and some supplemental feed until I pull them out separate and start building them up to full feed. I feed ours mostly shelled corn with a little of a mixed ration mixed with it so they will eat it good.
I didn't have to convince my wife about it, she wanted to have our own beef

1.5-2% of their body weight in corn. Either shelled or cracked. Along with some supplement and free choice hay. Figure around 75 bushels of corn per calf.
Ky Hills is right on the time line. Maybe a little longer depending on the breed and frame size.
I would get a spot booked now at the locker. I butchered in May and booked a spot for May 2021 when I picked up the beef.

SBMF 2015 said:
1.5-2% of their body weight in corn. Either shelled or cracked. Along with some supplement and free choice hay. Figure around 75 bushels of corn per calf.
Ky Hills is right on the time line. Maybe a little longer depending on the breed and frame size.
I would get a spot booked now at the locker. I butchered in May and booked a spot for May 2021 when I picked up the beef.

Good advice on going ahead and booking a spot at the processor. Around here a few months ago it was anywhere from 4 months to a year out and filling up fast.

tom4018 said:
What is the cost roughly for processing?

All depends on the size of the str and how you have it cut. Steak and roasts will be cheaper than hamburger.
We had around $900 in processing in the str we butchered in May. But he weighed over 1,800lbs live.

tom4018 said:
What is the cost roughly for processing?

The last one we had processed was 35 cents a pound hanging weight and $35 kill fee. That was the least expensive place we have found most are a little more per pound I can't remember right of hand seems like one a couple years ago was 50 cents.

Guess I will sell what I have now and may e save one of this spring's calves since every place I called is a year or more booked.

tom4018 said:
Guess I will sell what I have now and may e save one of this spring's calves since every place I called is a year or more booked.

You can always ask to see if you can get put on a wait list and see if a spot opens up (still get your spot for next year though). I have a friend that reserves about 10 spots each quarter for his freezer beef sales. He does not always use them all.

Y'all have some low-cost processing! Central Texas, custom exempt is $80 kill, .85/lb cut and wrap, USDA .95/lb cut and wrap-cutlets and stew meat extra😕

Hpacres440p said:
Y'all have some low-cost processing! Central Texas, custom exempt is $80 kill, .85/lb cut and wrap, USDA .95/lb cut and wrap-cutlets and stew meat extra😕
How far are you from Industry?

I feed a custom mixed ration of 1/2 pulverized corn, 1/4 ddg and 1/4 corn gluten pellets with 50lbs feed grade lime per ton of feed. I feed 1-1.5% body weight and rotational graze them one paddock ahead of the cows so they get the best grass. I get north of 3lbs adg. If I were you I'd keep 2 that are similar in size that way they finish at the same time.

I had a steer processed for freezer back in June. Around here, the waiting list is months out, so plan ahead. My cost was $40 kill and $0.65/lb cutting and wrapping based on hanging weight. I had a 1350 lb jersey cross than hung out 800 lbs so you can figure my total. I finished mine with 75% shelled corn 25% grain-based sweet feed plus hay or grass for long-stem fiber and gut health. The sweet feed had the extra protein, calcium, trace mineral, and vitamins needed while the corn supplied the energy. It was also very easy to feed out that way. I made a feeder with a 125lb hopper that fed three time/day. I never did get up to 2.5%/day feed on the guy. He kept going off his feed when I pushed too hard(acidosis, I think. The smell was pretty unmistakable). I had to back off and then ease back up but never got over 25 lb/day into a 1350 lb animal. Dairy breeds may be different than beef on how much feed they take. I have fed out angus at 2.5% /day. It was a smaller animal that was only 1200 lbs.

Latest posts