raising a bull vs buying

Help Support CattleToday:

ALX.":3osh7afk said:
Brute 23":3osh7afk said:
An animal rased soley on feed should not be put into the beef industry for producing offspring. That animal should become hamburgers and steaks.;-)

Spelling aside, in addressing your post, Mr. Ranch Manager, why does feed influence whats in his nuts?

The same reason I believe American Bulldogs who run hot easily should be culled. Its an injustice to the whole industry/ breed to let these pampered genetics, that totally oppose the true purpose of what this animal was intended for, exist for reproducing. Like breeding cows that are hard calving... Keeping human agressive Pitts... Curr dogs that don't bay.... Ect...

That is raising animals on feed, given more than needed... not supplementing feed for poor/ inadequate grass. Why would some one feed more nutrition than needed to an animal? :???: That is rediculous and a good way to put yourself out of business... plus its not healthy for working animals to be "fat".

Brute 23":25njke1p said:
ALX.":25njke1p said:
Brute 23":25njke1p said:
An animal rased soley on feed should not be put into the beef industry for producing offspring. That animal should become hamburgers and steaks.;-)

Spelling aside, in addressing your post, Mr. Ranch Manager, why does feed influence whats in his nuts?

The same reason I believe American Bulldogs who run hot easily should be culled. Its an injustice to the whole industry/ breed to let these pampered genetics, that totally oppose the true purpose of what this animal was intended for, exist for reproducing. Like breeding cows that are hard calving... Keeping human agressive Pitts... Curr dogs that don't bay.... Ect...

That is raising animals on feed, given more than needed... not supplementing feed for poor/ inadequate grass. Why would some one feed more nutrition than needed to an animal? :???: That is rediculous and a good way to put yourself out of business... plus its not healthy for working animals to be "fat".
http://www.albcia.org/newly_purchased_y ... -care.html

thanks for all of the advice. i have a herd of 40 cows and 2 bulls. What I like about the bull in question was his growth rate compared to my other calfs. He is younger but has grown much faster and is more muscled. I dont have any related cows to him except one cow. For my little operation generally we dont have the specs for the bulls we buy anyway. They get seman tested and that is it. What I really want is more muscled calfs and faster growth rates and large birth weights. I will take the chance with larger birth weight calves. Perhaps my best bet is a charloias bull in the future. I really want to compare what I get out of a large structured bull compared to my angus sires. Black does sell a bit better than charloias crosses however if the weaning weight is higher than the difference gets made up. Just my thoughts.

ALX.":3s3i6c01 said:
Brute 23":3s3i6c01 said:
Good article... says what I was saying. :)

It says the opposite of what you are saying.

I am going to let you dig yourself a little deeper here.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sho' nuff do. ;-)

jvicars,

your last post told me more than any other. The reason this calf has more muscle and greater gain is because of the charolais in him. The reason people are telling you to feed him grain is because it will tell you what his calves should do in the feed lot. The avg. daily gain is what the feed lot people are looking for. Cattle that grow faster on less feed: thus Charolais X's. Good luck. I am a seedstock breeder and the last bull I grew out cost $4 to $7 a day on avg for 4 months. I fed him from weaning to yearling then turned out on grass and cubes ( in Texas ). He went from 750# to 1300# in four months. At the end he ate 50# a day ( full feed ).

Back to the original question:

Sure you can keep a bull calf for breeding use. Some questions you need to think about, though:

1. Is it worth the time/money to develop the bull?
2. Does this young bull calf have the genetic potential to improve your herd?
3. Are you willing/able to evaluate him honestly as sire material (not be "barn blind")

If you can answer yes to the above questions, go for it!

If any of the questions make you hesistate - then don't do it.

Just my opinion ofcourse

Novatech, what we don't understand is what the goals of this individual are!!!! There are many folks out there with cattle, with little money, who just want a bull, and take their chances as to "output" of that bull. So, we have to address that situation as well. With that said, raising a bull, off grass, MIGHT produce a decent herd bull for someone. There won't be any "epd's" written up but it could still be a good, general, herd bull for a guy that just wants to produce some calves for the sale barn. Sometimes we lock ourselves into "the top echelon of genetics" when , in fact, that is a game for those with a jingle in their pocket. What about those without the "jingle"?[/quote]

:clap:

deenranch":8vnjxcv8 said:
jvicars,

At the end he ate 50# a day ( full feed ).

:shock:

The end would have came way sooner for me!

cypressfarms":xv0byibc said:
Just my opinion ofcourse

I value your opinion Cypress.

For me the answer was yes to all of your questions. Nevertheless, it was still a gamble to put so many eggs in that basket. Us small potatoes part timers shouldn't take so much risk. In the end, I got exactly what I wanted. Just lucky.

jvicars":eoiinixo said:
i have always been told its better to buy a bull than raise one. i have a bull calf i would like to watch to see how he grows since as a 2 month old he looks promising. am i wasting my time?

How about a picture of him?

Is the bull in question a three way cross, as I understand? If so it is simple-- meat..eat him...Why would anyone consider using him as a herd sire? I keep some heifers as breeding stock, out of my pure bloods, have even raised a bull( pure bloods only) ..But if I make a bad choice on a heifer it only effect her if I make a bad call on a bull it affect the whole herd...

Latest posts