Raising a bull for beef

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My husband recently traded our old horse for a red angus bull. He had been on 80,000. He is about 4 months old. We are told he hasn't been with any "cows". We want to grain him for 4 months and than send him to a professional butcher. I am worried that the meat is not going to be any good and we are putting alot of money into graining him. He is not surrounded by any other cattle. He has a horse for company. I know he is to big to cut his balls but I am in a panic and a loss at what to do. Thanks for any help Dawn

[email protected]

As long as he isn't breeding you shouldn't be able to tell the difference especially at that young age. By the way, he's not to big to cut, if you don't feel comfortable doing it, get a vet to do it. It's no big deal. If he get's cut you could feed him out to a year or a little more and have a lot more beef.

dunmovin farms

> My husband recently traded our old
> horse for a red angus bull. He had
> been on 80,000. He is about 4
> months old. We are told he hasn't
> been with any "cows". We
> want to grain him for 4 months and
> than send him to a professional
> butcher. I am worried that the
> meat is not going to be any good
> and we are putting alot of money
> into graining him. He is not
> surrounded by any other cattle. He
> has a horse for company. I know he
> is to big to cut his balls but I
> am in a panic and a loss at what
> to do. Thanks for any help Dawn

Even if a bull has been with cows, it doesn't ruin him for the freezer. Simply remove him from temptation for a month or two and his hormones will settle down and the meat will taste fine. We actually had a 2 year old bull killed this summer the day after we removed him from the cows. We were able to salvage the meat and the taste is fine, although the meat is not quite as tender as it would be from a steer.

As Dunmovin' said, you can still have your bull neutered by a veterinarian and he should be fine.

If you're not used to cattle and haven't been around a bull before, definitely have him neutered. He could be a danger to you and others if you are not used to handling bulls and don't have the facilities to keep him on your property.

I always sell virgin bulls for beef and have very satisfied customers. I just shipped 4 to the packers and they all marbled well and will end up as steaks on the supermarket shelf.

The grain will put a bit of fat in the meat and you should be very happy. Feed him for the 3 to 4 months and enjoy.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

In Egypt we raise only bulls for beef, in fact the calves would be heavily discounted if they where. I have bulls that reach 450-500 kg and still have their milk teeth, and the meat is fine. Average daily gain is not as high as with steers, but I don't think you would worry about that. So keep him away from cows and he should be fine.

Ash

[email protected]

In Egypt we raise only bulls for beef, in fact the calves would be heavily discounted if they where castrated. I have bulls that reach 450-500 kg and still have their milk teeth, and the meat is fine. Average daily gain is not as high as with steers, but I don't think you would worry about that. So keep him away from cows and he should be fine.

Ash

[email protected]

Latest posts