raise your own bull vs borrow neighbor bull

Help Support CattleToday:

uscangus

Reaction score
i am planning to purchase 40 to 50 young heifers around 400lbs during Dec., breed them next Nov-Dec, and calve them in Aug-Sept of 2011. Also, by the beginning of Jan-Feb of 2010, i will buy more heavier heifers so i could plan to breed them with the purchased heifers in Dec of 2009. The problem is i don't want to introduce a bacteria called campylobactuer foetus(vibriosis) in my herd that may affect the fertility of the future herd from my friend bulls, which he leases regularly. The other option is to purchase several calf bulls and raised until around 15 months old to breed and them sell them. Time is not the issues nor the money because i have another job. Please keep the advises in regard to renting a bull or purchasing calf bulls to prevent Vibriosis for my future herds.

If you have the money to do this then buy your own bull and reduce your initial purchase number.

All heifers? Hope you know what you are doing and you have a vets number handy if you do not.

Regards

Bez+

Bez+":15gurnuq said:
If you have the money to do this then buy your own bull and reduce your initial purchase number.

All heifers? Hope you know what you are doing and you have a vets number handy if you do not.

Regards

Bez+
thank you "Bez" for your kind response. Ultimately, when i am near calving these heifers, i will plan to purchase some bred cows that will calve several months before the herds. these cows will be role model for these first yearling. the dilemma that i have is when do you know if the rented bull is easy calving if you are relying on owner words. the other hand, if you buy calf bulls at the sale barn, you don't know if he is going to provide easy calving. My last option is to buy young bulls from a private person who raises large herds each year. thank you once again. i really appreciate you kind advice.

uscangus":2ikpumes said:
Bez+":2ikpumes said:

Regards

Bez+
thank you "Bez" for your kind response. Ultimately, when i am near calving these heifers, i will plan to purchase some bred cows that will calve several months before the herds. these cows will be role model for these first yearling. the dilemma that i have is when do you know if the rented bull is easy calving if you are relying on owner words. the other hand, if you buy calf bulls at the sale barn, you don't know if he is going to provide easy calving. My last option is to buy young bulls from a private person who raises large herds each year. thank you once again. i really appreciate you kind advice.

Unfortunately role models do not help with bad presentations and calving problems with heifers. They can at times help with the mothering - but a lot of this is already bred into them or it is not. The risk is always higher with heifers. Much higher.

If the neighbours bull is registered and comes from a reputable breeder you can look at his mom and his dad and his numbers - that will tell you what the calves have a reasonable chance of weighing and looking like. Heavy calves are not always the issue - it also has a lot to do with body shape - large shoulders or hips on a short calf are trouble - same weight calf that is a bit longer and slimmer is easier to birth.

I would not use him until he had a full health check including blood work if he is a "traveling man". Like people there are a lot of bad things out there that will not show up until too late in many cases. Std's

I have only bought bulls at sale barns when it is a breeders sale - do not buy one "off the lot" without knowing the ancestory and the numbers - EPD.

Neighbours word is not likely the way to go - unless you have heifers that are similar in frame and condition when calving.

Save some money and go to town - look around at what you can buy to fit YOUR program - he is half of your herd. There is a breeder out there somewhere.

One final thing - try and get heifers that will handle at least an 85 pound calf with no trouble - ours can do more but that is our herd - it will really reduce your risk. So breed on weight and not on age.

Regards

Bez+

most times you can buy bred cows for not much more than feeder calves & they will start making you money a lot quicker. you may also have a high cull rate on heifers the first year or two

Buy 2-3 15 month old bulls that have passed a semen test and have epds that are good to use on heifers. Even then there is no guarantee, you may have a few malpresentations and have to pull a few. 2 bulls should be more than plenty and one should be enough if they are in a small breeding area.

Also you are going to be bringing older cows into your herd that could have been exposed to anything including trich, which will then infect your bulls and infect your first calvers etc. thus the never ending cycle has begun. Start with heifers and try to keep on using the same bulls or virgin bulls.