raise or buy a bull

Help Support CattleToday:

britej

Reaction score
hey guys... I have been reading this board for a while.. but I have 20 momma cows and 12 calves.. my bull died a couple of weeks ago (registered angus bull, was 10 years old.. limped one day dead the next, but sure what happened but it went down fast)... I have 2 bull calves that are a year old.. (I didnt cut them when born).. my question is: should I buy a 2 year old bull, or should I just keep one of the bulls I have and use for my seed bull??

Depends on how good the bull calves are and the genetic power behind him. Also depends on how important a closed herd is to you.

If it were me, I'd buy a 3-4 year old bull with some proof on the ground. They're usually a pretty good deal at that age since most folks will be changing up about then.

I agree with angus9259. Buy a bull. That's half your calf crop. You've got 20 cows. Have the bull tested to ensure he's good.

You could find yourself being another one of those horror stories, "I lost a whole year's calf crop...." we have heard in the past.

Grow out those bulls your grooming. If they turn out you can sell them to recoup your investment. If you like one of them better than the bull you buy, after you test him, retain him and get rid of anything in the herd that's kin.

Just don't take a chance with a year's calf crop.

Seems like when I buy a young bull thats guaranteed, thats 14 to 18 months old and use him for 2-3 years. I can sell him for close to what I paid for him, sometimes have sold them for more.

highgrit":36pkbwz5 said:
Seems like when I buy a young bull thats guaranteed, thats 14 to 18 months old and use him for 2-3 years. I can sell him for close to what I paid for him, sometimes have sold them for more.
Kind of like driving a good used newer car some times........you must have more than 20 cows however. If not why would you be willing to take this sort of risk? I suppose you have a clean up bull or two and also have established some sort of relationship with the man you buy said Bulls from?

Yes I have traded with him for ten years now. He has 10 or 12 young bulls most of the time. I buy before his spring sale. He tells me to pick the one I want, I tell him to pick the one I want. Nothing special just good commercial Angus stock. Having cows without a bull makes no sense to me.

good points and good advice. I was figuring that I should buy one. I know a farm a few miles away have some good looking Semiangus bulls.. they seem to be the new fad here in North East Texas/South West Arkansas.