Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

We have had a nice and steady rain here in Ohio for the past 24 hours. There is a flood warning out for alot of the state and it is expected to continue til later today. I am sick of the rain, the sloppy mess and all the mud. And then they are saying that it may snow a bit tonight (thank goodness, nothing much). At least the temps. are in the 40's & 50's during the day, so it isn't too bad to be out in it!!

;-)

I know it isn't right to complain about the rain. I got standing puddles in the yard and like I said, the garden's gone. I know it will make some nice grass, though, and it beats the crud out of a drought. I am gonna have to do something about erosion control, though. These swift, heavy rains are hard on us. Gonna get out there this weekend and make a plan...

the rain finally hitt here yesterday.an rained hard till early morning an when it was all said an done we got 4.5 in or a tad more.

We had a bull dozer scheduled to come out this coming Monday to clear the last 300' of fence row so we can finish out our pipe fence. We had to wait two weeks for it to dry out from the last rainy spell and the dozer operator to catch up on his work. I wonder how long I will have to wait now? :cry:

I will take all the rain I can get, I just wish it was not 5" at a time. Erosion became a problem for us last spring also. Found out last week at the TSCRA Trade Show that the NRCS will come to your place and help you with a flood control and/or erosion plan at no cost. I'm thinking about giving them a call...

We have that bright light in the sky today. Sure am glad to see it. Still a bit nippy, 40+ degrees, sharp north wind. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer and still sunny. The cows have left that sorry bale of hay and are out looking for green pick. There's not much there, but they want every bite of it. With the rain and warmer weather, we should start seeing more of the green stuff. And next month we start AI-ing. :banana:

We have had over twelve inches here. Has been raining over 48 hours. It's supposed to quit in a couple of hours.
I promised my wife last summer I would never complain about rain if it would just rain again. I'm about to become a liar.

Picture222.jpg

Yesterday's rain. Cattle went to higher ground.

Picture232.jpg

Beefy":2e5ifxcg said:
april showers bring mayflowers.

Thanks for the memory. It was something my Dad's Mother said. I haven't heard that in a while.

Sun is out this afternoon and water is falling. Went down to the river a carport and many large log left in the hay meadow and still half the bottom under water. All the fence gone. This is the highest have seen it. Have owned it for 18 years. We had 8 1/2 inches of rain.

Enjoy it while you got it. As my FIL always told me it can be shut off at anytime and not start back up for a very long time.
We need some rain or snow right now, we are getting pretty dry.

I stepped into the garden yesterday, very lightly, and sunk up to the middle of my rubber boot. I had to pull it off and then almost fell in trying to get it back. One of my dachshunds went in there and he had a funny, terrorized dog look, like he thought he was not gonna be able to get out. Cole's pretty low to the ground anyway, and the garden just about swallowed him.

Miles, I will be around on Saturday to get my soil back.

Latest posts