RAIN!?!?!?

Help Support CattleToday:

42acres

Reaction score
Is anyone out there in the same shape i,m in? No rain in eight weeks in central Georgia at least on my farm. Very frustrating!!
I'm thinking this will drive cattle prices down, as far as the market getting fludded due to no feed. Any thoughts on this, or the long term affects?

We were dry as a bone, too. Laid down about 80 acres of alfalfa last week-end, and it's rained almost every day since! :roll: It's so hard to figure out whether to thank The Lord for the rain, or cuss the rain because of the hay. :?

We have been farming full time for 5 years. This is first year we have had good rain, but the last two years, we fed hay year round, and had to buy it at $35-50 a roll. We still have 4 very hot dry months ahead of us, but this year we will have enough hay. It will still take a few years of normal rain, to pay the debts incurred during this bad drought, not to mention the damage done to our newer pastures.

I am so sorry for you and I will pray your rain will come.

42acres, we're in the same situation here in central florida. The little and i mean little bit of spring growth we had is all gone and we're feeding hay now to some cattle. I had to move some pairs over to a pasture I had planned to cut for hay that still had some grass on it. All the larger lakes are very low, and all of our small ponds have been dry now for at least two months.

Had the same thing in 2001. Had a day where it was 103 in the shade. Everybody lost their crop and had it zeroed out (Except for us, we cut 32 bushel an acre). There was no pasture, lot's of guys had to sell off half or more of their cattle.
My husband baled for 3 weeks straight all the failed barley and wheat crop to have enough hay on hand to feed the herd.
Hang in there guys it will rain again.
There are no atheists in a drought year.

North Florida here and we haven't had rain in months with the exception of one little shower about a month ago. Everything is brown and dead, or in the process of dying. There's no grass and there's no hay to be found anywhere around here at any price. Our normal hay source says he is already 15,000 bales behind where he was last year.

There is a 60% rain chance for tomorrow. I'm heading home now to start a rain dance! :p

We are bad short on rain this year. We average 5 inches of rain in May. We got less than 2 tenths of a inch. I think we are approximately 15 inches short already this year. The auction on Saturday I saw several cows with calves sale for under $300. No one can feed them.

Probable good news, ladies and gentlemen - Tropical Storm Bobby(?) should be bringing some of you some rain, according to the radio. :D :D I'm just not sure who - Florida, or Georgia - I missed that part. :oops:

msscamp":9ji4obkk said:
Probable good news, ladies and gentlemen - Tropical Storm Bobby(?) should be bringing some of you some rain, according to the radio. :D :D I'm just not sure who - Florida, or Georgia - I missed that part. :oops:

Looks like its coming straight in and will even get to the Carolinas. I'm waiting. Less than one inch since February makes things quite tough. Plus, maybe the rain will put these fires out. We've been breathing this nasty smoke since December and its starting to make everyone sick.

Jogeephus":3j5lmyhs said:
msscamp":3j5lmyhs said:

Looks like its coming straight in and will even get to the Carolinas. I'm waiting. Less than one inch since February makes things quite tough. Plus, maybe the rain will put these fires out. We've been breathing this nasty smoke since December and its starting to make everyone sick.

Jo, that would be so great! :D Now if everyone else that needs rain could get a little, life would be good! ;-)

Jogeephus":1wmejz1v said:
Looks like its coming straight in and will even get to the Carolinas. I'm waiting.

I saw the forcast and am happy for you. I actually saw water fall from the sky yesterday. I didn't amount to anything but it was nice to see that it could still happen.

msscamp":3d5fe0qi said:
maybe it will "rob" moisture from us. happens mostly when they goin into the gulf, but hopefully this will help all the way around.

Latest posts