Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

jack.diamond

Reaction score
Was checking the weather today and it looks like the South and Southeast are getting some rain. Central Texas is finally getting some, thank goodness. Put some rye and fertilizer down this week, hopefully will sprout now. How is everyone else doing??

Jack

No rain down here in Florida most of the year. Real spotty and not on my place. One hay cutting due to the huge rain deficit.

we got about 6 inches last week and 4 inches last night. Glad to see it though after the dry conditions this summer. We've had pretty decent rain the past couple months so we're doing well in replenishing the soil moisture and all, now it's just standing, running off, and breeding a HORDE of mosquitos. Little buggers didn't have a chance all summer so they're making up for it now.

Got some late haymaking some customers want done but there's 4 inches of water standing in the pastures and meadows this morning. We did a lot of baling back in late August and September so we're all right, and most customers are doing ok just want to take a little extra off before it goes dormant. Had some local guys, especially the cotton guys, get caught with their shorts down. They got their cotton picked (LUCKY!) before the 6 inches last week because if they hadn't it'd all have been on the ground by now. Some modules were sitting on the turnrows by the ditches and ended up as islands sitting in foot and a half deep water last week. I'm sure that TBWEF and TDA will be all over them about cutting their stalks but they won't get in there for at least 2 weeks now because of the standing water. One guy had some hay on the ground before the 6 inches and so that's totally gone. Another guy had rolled all his rounds out there but the whole field was at least 6-12 inches deep and so I wonder how well those bales are going to hold up after sitting in a foot of water for a couple days.

I'm sure not going to gripe though. At least when it's wet you have some grass and the cows can just muck around to get it-- when you burn up you've got nothing. Good luck! OL JR :)

Just on the low side of 2" Wed. and clear and 83 yesterday. I could have done without this wind today but i'd guess Sydney is loving it with that hay on the ground. There was some lightning over toward LaGrange about dark last night but I haven't heard if they got anymore or not.Z

Yeah, what hay that hasn't washed away is now blowing away :( I was out there yesterday evening spreading out the bale I dropped out of the baler and it started lightening. I high-tailed it to the house, I thought about Beefy getting hit by lightening in the tractor and figured it probably wasn't smart standing out in the middle of an open field.

Just finished planting winter grazing in anticipation of the forecast. Been on the tractor for two days straight. Finished today at 3:00 and it started raining at 4:30 and it is still raining at 7:00. Fantastic! As they said on the "A Team" , I love it when a plan comes together! :lol:

Nowland Farms":28qocgiv said:
Here in Alabama, we have gotten a bit over 2.5" in last 24 hours. Should soak in very well.

Howdy neibor i'm glad i finally got some rain. I had to water my cows this year. I tell ya that is no fun. Well its no problem now, i have a water line running to a tank now with auto floats so its no biggie now put puting all that in was a chore. A ditchwitch can quicky show who can be boss.
Any body over your way selling any hay? Aint nobody got any over here. We're just now starting to get any rain. I hope it does my rye some good. I went ahead and lymed and spreaded some nitrogen.

Latest posts