Rain?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky

Reaction score
A month or so ago some were already talking about a drought and high hay prices. Wondering if anything has changed. I remember Fence was talking about selling some cows because it was so dry. I was concerned because of cooler than normal nights and the rain slacking off some, we still have the cooler nights but have had plenty rain. The cattle are all looking a little rangy because of this weather. Hope all is well in your area.

I can't plant or fertilize because it's too wet. For last two weeks we have been getting hammered. Under flash floods warnings right now and it's pouring. I would like to scatter this out.

Attachments

• 1C719AF1-C347-4EB6-A1D5-20DC6D6C7FA3.png
    1C719AF1-C347-4EB6-A1D5-20DC6D6C7FA3.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
Maybe have caught a foot of water in the tanks from 1 1/2 to 3 inches last week. Ground is still hard but grass is green. Haymaking is slowed by humid, damp and cloudy days. Showers in the area again today but aren't supposed to produce much.

Haven't had a decent rain this spring. I saw where a friend northwest of here said they hadn't anything measurable since snow in February. The reservoir is full so I have plenty of irrigation water for the hay fields but the range land is mighty dry. There seems to be lot of hay stacks of last year's hay around. But I was talking to a neighbor last night. He said last year hay is $180 a ton at the stack and all the hay brokers are saying hay will be $200 this fall. He said that this fall he might count hay bales and count cows. Then sell cows until the numbers match. He raises a lot of hay but he has a lot of cows. Mid winter he was feeding a semi load of hay a day. That doesn't work with $200 hay.

we were getting pretty dry in eastern Iowa but we got 1.3 inches saturday night. things are looking good if the rains continue when we need it. not every other day with occational 5-6 inches at a time like the last 2 years. always nice when the hay people and the corn/soybean people are both happy in the same year.

We've had a ridiculous amount of rain the past few years. And yet, it was getting a little dry so the recent showers were welcome. That said, the extended forecast with potential t-storms every day does NOT look good for when I've scheduled working the herd. Gotta be flexible and don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

This spring has been much fairer than the last three in MO. 2020 and 2019 were super wet, lots of flooding. 2018 went right from winter to summer, didn't feel like we had a spring.

We got 1st cut of alfalfa off, only because we wrapped it for silage. There's no way we could've had enough time to dry it.

Going to start cutting wheat for silage in the morning, looks like we have about a 3 day window.

Rain?
Torrential right now.
may11radar.jpg

FOR SOUTHERN SAN JACINTO...NORTHWESTERN LIBERTY AND POLK COUNTIES...

At 606 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near Goodrich, or 9
miles south of Livingston, moving east at 25 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Hail damage to vehicles is expected. Expect wind damage to
roofs, siding, and trees.

Locations impacted include...
Cleveland, Livingston, Shepherd, Corrigan, Coldspring, Goodrich,
North Cleveland, Seven Oaks, Lake Livingston State Park,
Alabama-Coushatta Reservation, West Livingston, Leggett, Moscow,
Tarkington Prairie, Segno, Romayor and Rye.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a
building.

&&

TORNADO...POSSIBLE;
HAIL...1.00IN;
WIND...60MPH

Last edited:
We could sure use some moisture, haven't had any moisture since snow melt and there wasn't much snow. I noticed smoke off to the south east this afternoon so I took a drive to check it out. fire is about 5 miles away and moving this way luckily it is not windy.

We have had plenty of rain. Wouldn't mind it warming up and seeing the sun. This weather is crazy. I said pee on the garden this weather it's been raining and raining and raining and raining. We had frost a few weeks ago and snow.

1 3/4 inches so far since noon. Still getting a light drizzle. Caught a couple feet of water in the tanks. Glad the experts missed their expected rainfall totals....again 😏

We have had a little rain here, but the hay crop is looking like a half crop and the pasture is getting shorter everyday. This global warming thing is a sham. We need more pollution to warm things up.

we were getting pretty dry in eastern Iowa but we got 1.3 inches saturday night. things are looking good if the rains continue when we need it. not every other day with occational 5-6 inches at a time like the last 2 years. always nice when the hay people and the corn/soybean people are both happy in the same year.

Latest posts