Rain soaked rubs

Help Support CattleToday:

lilmac

Reaction score
We have been getting rain here "thank the Lord". I just got a new rub and it got me thinking. How do you keep the rain from soaking the rub. In years past I reactivated it after every good soaking but thought that I would ask for your input. I even went so rar as to bend a piece of tin and made a roof over it but the cows was able to reach it and scratch thier backs so needles to say, it did not last long. So what do you do?                                                                                                                                                                       Mac

Hoo-ray for rain. We are still parched and dry, getting drier.

Really you don't. I just recharge about monthly or when the rope gets dry (or I remember to do it). When the ropes are wet they are difficult to do (usually don't even try). If the flies get bad I use a pump-up sprayer, mix up a batch of 10% permethrin and water and give em a light spray.

I do have a couple under some sheds and under the drip of a mineral feeder. The rest are strung from low tree branches where they like to hand out.

I find the rubs work best if you REALLY soak them when they and the weather are dry, especially when they are new. This way they are saturated with diesel/permethrin mix and when it rains the rain runs off. If it is rainy I resoak about every 2 weeks. When it is dry I resoak once a month. The key is when you see a lot of flies on your cattle it is time to resoak the rub. Jim

1982vett":2kfjje7j said:
Really you don't. I just recharge about monthly or when the rope gets dry (or I remember to do it). When the ropes are wet they are difficult to do (usually don't even try). If the flies get bad I use a pump-up sprayer, mix up a batch of 10% permethrin and water and give em a light spray.

Same here.

Latest posts