Rain Scald in Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

emma0610

Reaction score
Has anyone ever dealt with rain scald in cattle. I have attached an image of what I think could be rain scald.[image][/image]

Probably speaking out of turn here. I deal with it pretty regular in horses. Not a fungus, as many falsely claim. It's caused by an anaroebic bacteria. Meaning it thrives in the absence of oxygen. If your going to take the time to treat it, captan is your absolute best choice. Sunshine and dry weather will treat it as well. A cow, I'd probably wait. Your cow, your choice.

my vet did say use the captan also..but then told me to save abunch of money just use 50% bleach and water...worked well...I have a thread on this somewhere

There are several home remedies. Listerine, iodine, diluted bleach. Captan is 100% effective with one treatment.

Once you get it in a wooden barn, it is hard to get rid of it. I always used iodine with good results.
Shedding out winter hair coats, sunshine and wind also help.

I have heard you guys/gals talk about Rain Scald and in all of my 48 years owning cattle, I never heard of it??? I wonder why we don't get bothered with it here in NY. We can't hardly go 3 days of sunshine during the summer.

Why does that animal appear to have so little hoof at the bottom of its legs? I'm sure it's not just the mud, as the edge of the hoof is visible on the surface of the ground in the side-on picture.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2jper71s said:
I have heard you guys/gals talk about Rain Scald and in all of my 48 years owning cattle, I never heard of it??? I wonder why we don't get bothered with it here in NY. We can't hardly go 3 days of sunshine during the summer.
I'm scratching my head too Jeanne.

TexasBred":35hq448v said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":35hq448v said:
I'm scratching my head too Jeanne.
LOL - meaning you never heard of it - or don't know why I haven't???

I wonder if it's to cold for it up north, and too warm for it down south? I know I live in what must be the cradle of it.

Looks like it would thrive in warm climates, like Diesel said, he's had trouble with it..I've had it on horses in the past,, but if I've had it on cattle I've never noticed it,and probably treated it as a lice infection...

Latest posts