Rain Rain Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

Richardin52

Reaction score
Baled 66 round bales two weeks ago in the first three day stretch after the grass was up with no rain this year. It has rained every day since then. I'm not talking a little drizzle either. We have had a couple spells where we got an inch an hour most of the time it's been just a steady downpour.

Yesterday it did just sprinkled in the morning but then it poured all evening. This morning it's a steady down pour again. The forecast rain, rain, rain humidity in the 70's, temp in the 80's in other words hot and sticky with rain.

Started harvesting broccoli last week, about two thirds of the heads were rotted right on the plant, just too wet.

Pastures are too wet for the cattle, can't move the round bales because the fields are too wet. The years half gone and we haven't had 5 days in a row of descent weather yet.

Their talking about building a pipeline for oil down from Canada down to the gulf, Maybe they should be talking about a pipeline for water from the northeast to the southwest, they can start at my place.

Just sounds like you are over blessed......one day you may well be over blessed with cloudless days and rainless clouds. Rejoice for today.

Richardin52":38m4ovyv said:
Baled 66 round bales two weeks ago in the first three day stretch after the grass was up with no rain this year. It has rained every day since then. I'm not talking a little drizzle either. We have had a couple spells where we got an inch an hour most of the time it's been just a steady downpour.

Yesterday it did just sprinkled in the morning but then it poured all evening. This morning it's a steady down pour again. The forecast rain, rain, rain humidity in the 70's, temp in the 80's in other words hot and sticky with rain.

Started harvesting broccoli last week, about two thirds of the heads were rotted right on the plant, just too wet.

Pastures are too wet for the cattle, can't move the round bales because the fields are too wet. The years half gone and we haven't had 5 days in a row of descent weather yet.

Their talking about building a pipeline for oil down from Canada down to the gulf, Maybe they should be talking about a pipeline for water from the northeast to the southwest, they can start at my place.
Last 4 months of 2006 1st 1/2 of 2007 saw an almost daily deluge. Bad flooding in 1994 and we saw nearly 30" in a 2 day period, with 20-25" in 8 hrs in some places. Maybe even worse.
The Greatest rainfall of the entire rain event occured over Lake Livingston and Kickapoo Creek. Located about 30 or so miles Northwest of the West Fork San Jacinto Storm, the Kickapoo Storm was an extremely efficant rainmaker. Unlike the Lavaca or West Fork Storms, the Kickapoo Storm Cell had what is called a Low Echo Centroid (LEC) which was tropical in nature and is much more efficant at producing rain (although I am not sure how). Fed by both moisture from the West Fork Storm as well as a LLJ directly off the Gulf of Mexico, the storm produced almost unheard of rain totals in a 6 hour time frame. The offical amount states that almost 25 inches of rain fell in 6 hours, but runoff data from Kickapoo Creek suggests that an entire foot more fell in the same time frame. If verified, the 36.7 inches (933 mm) of rain in 6 hours implied by runoff data would be a new world record for that time frame! The massive runoff from Kickapoo Creek was 3 times greater than that of the 100 year flood and helped to fuel record flooding downstream on the Trinity River.

That, is a lot of rain, and it was all caused by a EPAC (Eastern Pacific) storm, not a Gulf or Atlantic hurricane.

Then:
An alternate senerio that could produce as much or even more rain would be the stalling of a landfalling tropical cyclone. Most recently experienced with Tropical Storm Allison, tropical cyclones can easily bring excessive rainfall to Southeast Texas. Famous examples include Allison (2001 and 1989), Claudette (1979, holds the US 24 hour rainfall record at 43 inches), and an unnamed tropical cyclone from 1960. Hovever, if a large and strong tropical cyclone were to stall out over the area, even more rainfall can result

Still, I'll take that over 2011 any day.

We are getting hammered here too. After our last drought I said I'd never complain about rain again but this is testing my resolve.

Jogeephus":1hb5mxjj said:
We are getting hammered here too. After our last drought I said I'd never complain about rain again but this is testing my resolve.
Last Friday afternoon we had some bad wind and hail and rain come through here and blew the tops out of three or four pine trees and a slew of other assorted limbs around the yard. Yesterday, I had one one of my sons helping get it cleared and after three or four hours we were about half way through and it started raining and I think I must have expressed some sort of displeasure over that because my son said "I thought you always wanted it to rain some more". I said "It rained an inch and a half yesterday, we don't need any more today".

1982vett":khojl1tx said:
Just sounds like you are over blessed......one day you may well be over blessed with cloudless days and rainless clouds. Rejoice for today.

I realize the grass (rain cloud?) is always greener on the other side of the fence, but what the Maine poster is saying up here in the NE is very true. Here in upstate NY, we have our county and most of the surrounding ones declared national disaster areas at the moment. We've had people washed away, houses and businesses destroyed, entire hillsides come crashing down, pavement and parking lots and sidewalks buckled when water underground burst through them, streets become rivers...The National Guard and Red Cross are working in our area. Many of the residents lost everything in the floods of 2006 (and we've gotten hammered by Irene and Sandy the past 2 summers as well). The weather here has gotten very wacky over the past few years. We don't seem to get what I used to think of as "normal" weather--some rain, some clear days....It's either months of no rain, or weeks and weeks of absolute deluge. We have had storms and downpours every day, with no let-up in sight. Many areas have been evac'd. But I agree--within reason, I still prefer this to drought. Ask me again in a week though! (and luckily we live up high, or I'm sure I'd be saying to bring on the drought!)

Be lucky you are getting rain. It could be so dry that you have to sell all your cows and don't have any hay to put up.

I'm not complaining my pastures look great grass is just jumpin out of the ground . I fed hay last summer due to lack of grass. Ilive in the hills above the Mohawk valley there are homes floatin down the river 5 miles from here. We're not getting soaking gains we're getting gully washers. where you located boondocks :tiphat:

Frustrating part is if it stops raining you could be in a drought in 3 weeks. That's what happened to us the last 2 summers.

I will gladly take any rain anyone wants to get rid of, Sunday will be 3 weeks without a measurable rain. It's dry sevarel feet down and when your pushing dirt with a dozer it looks like your pushing a pile of flour in front of you.

Vett, I wish I could send you some of ours. We are soaked. Grass is lush but hay making is out of the question and I really need to cut some hay.

14.68 inches in the last 24 hours here. More on the way today. They said it was falling at a rate of 50 inches per hour at one point.

gonzo":w1mzysgr said:
I'm not complaining my pastures look great grass is just jumpin out of the ground . I fed hay last summer due to lack of grass. Ilive in the hills above the Mohawk valley there are homes floatin down the river 5 miles from here. We're not getting soaking gains we're getting gully washers. where you located boondocks :tiphat:

looks like you're not too far away. we're outside little falls. you're right about the gully washers, have never seen anything like this. some of these areas are just devastated now

Lots of ruined crops here at the moment. I'm not going to complain but it would be nice to get a five day drought or something. Forecast is looking favorable so maybe I can cut hay soon.

Up here in northern, VT we're in the same boat. Some fields have first cut but the majority are too wet. Just talking with neighboring farms once it dries up we may team up as theres a ton of hay out there.

I can't complain with all the rain, but was worried. Starting July 26, 2013 we finally had 3 days of dry weather. 190 square and 70 round bales. Already up 40% over last years total crop. Keeping my fingers crossed on a good 2nd cut.

Atgreene":21ydmhc9 said:
We've done about 10% of our first crop to date. Grass is gone by, crop looks aweful.
Its wierd year, some fields did well and others didn't. Farmers are mowing just to get the old crop off and start off fresh. Second is coming up under first. This past dry spell helped out.

Latest posts