Rain ! Rain ! Rain !

Help Support CattleToday:

Stepper

Reaction score
It started raining 2 days ago and is still raining off and on. Good steady rains. Any where form 1 to 2 inches of rain at a time. And it is raining now. With a 60 % chance of rain for tommorrow. It is comming at a good time to. About a week or so after it stops i should be able to get a second cutting of hay. We usually only get an average of about 3.84 inches of rain for the month of July. It was slow about coming but it is here now. Looks like we are going to get our average for the month all at once. 8)

:( I live in SW Arkansas and got 1/10 inch Sunday, not much of a chance for more in the near future. :mad:

KenB,

Where in SouthWest Arkansas ? And what has the rain fall been like down there this year ? It has not been a wet year here but we have been meeting our averages for the months.

I hope you get some rain. I was starting to worry because this time of the year here. Just a short time without rain will dry things up fast. And in August we will be hitting our dryest month of the year for this area.

I live near Glenwood.
It is very dry here, I only got 3/4 inch last month, been feeding hay the last couple of weeks.
I am going to take most of my spring calves to the sale Thursday.

KenB,

Sorry to hear that. We got almost 4 inches here last month. But becuase it was a dry winter the hay medows are not producing like they usually do. I guess we have been lucky here compared to other places. It amazes me at how places just a 100 or 200 miles from here are lacking so much in rain.

Like i said we could use alot more than what we are getting. And our hay production is down some what compared to last year. But we are at least getting some rain.

I think that most of the cattle farmers arround this area that will hurt the most are the ones who try to run more cows than they should to begin with. Or that over graze their medows.

I think alot of horse owners all over the place are going to be in for a big surprise this year. Because there will be less hay for sale. And allot of people who on just a few horses depend on buying their hay rathering than putting their own up.

KenB

I am about 150 North of you in a town called Ozark. Is there any hay for sale in your area ?

It so dry here that a man told me he stopped pouring cattle cubes on the ground because he was loosing about half the bag in the cracks and the cattle were having to dig them out.

It's rained here for the last 2 days . We have 4 " so far with a 50% chance tomorrow.

Finally got some good rain down here SW of Houston. They got tons of rain E-NE of Houston last month but we got very little and have been really dry a long time. We finally got about six inches from the beginning of the holiday weekend on thru about day before yesterday. Had three or four good rain events in there, so it was spread out and should do some good. We were ready to sprig some bermuda up til the rain started, but couldn't find any tops-- everybody's baling them. Now when the water soaks in and the field dries up, maybe we can get it done.

Since we were rained and mudded out here, we went to Shiner to spray brush. They got four to five inches up there, which was good to see because the Shiner area was starting to look like Saudi Arabia. We were about doing cartwheels because we could see that the water coming off the hills had washed clippings up into 'reefs' along a waterline that had to put water between six and twelve inches deep in the valleys draining into the pond. Put about 3 feet of water back in the pond, overflowed and made the little one about half full again. Happy grass happy cows life is better.

We've been so dry up til now and my brother in law in N Indiana had part of his corn flooded out. Told my wife they've been getting our rain. Hope yall get some soon and God bless! OL JR :)

denoginnizer":2l9evk0x said:
It so dry here that a man told me he stopped pouring cattle cubes on the ground because he was loosing about half the bag in the cracks and the cattle were having to dig them out.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

any indians that would be willing to come to ne texas and do a rain dance ill be more than happy to provide a pasture to do it in.... :( need rain here bad....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dunno about Indians....can let you have a few Pakistanis pretty cheap. They swear they know a rain dance.
regards

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:, ill pass on the pakistanis, but that pow wow sounds like fun...BYOB?

We've actually had some pretty good showers here at Pine Mills, PTL!. The last one was on the 4th. I have been moving some cows here from our pasture north of Quitman. Bob Peters still predicts above normal rainfall in August???!!!

prayin&believin!

Latest posts