Rain, Rain, go away.come back in a a week or two

Help Support CattleToday:

Medic24

Reaction score
Ok, first thing, I know this is gonna gall a few folks that are sitting there praying for a bit of rain, but you know sometimes too much rain is just as bad.

It rains at least some every day here it seems. The past 24 hours has been a deluge. again.

My house, my buildings, even some of my equipment are growing things on it that should not be there.........it's all green.

Yes and even some of our calves have been growing rain scald, and although a bit of dilute bleach keeps that down... I would just prefer it to dry out for a week or so......can't move any large equipment around for the ruts, haying is soooo far behind, several fields will have to get bushhoged instead.

I keep having to pour tons of large gravel into this one bottle neck area in front of the barn...where is it all going? it took the underlayment fabric (geomat) down with it!

I am not selfish, I will gladly give some of this to you folks that need it most...........and the forcast is to continue this way for at least the next few months. AAAARGH :x

We got our first rain here last night and today, in almost a month. 2.5 in. in the rain gauge. Good soaking rain. Lot of smaller creeks are dry, because the soil soaked it all up.
Last year we had the problem you're having now. Too much rain. Seems like we can never get it dialed in to a good shower once a week, it's always feast or famine.

Medic,
watch yourself. I was giving away rain in the spring. But the typical Ohio weather has taken over again. Only worse than usual this year. We usually have to mud the crops in, pray for rain June thru late october, then mud the crops out.
We were flooded in september and in january. Not it is so dry the trees are whistleing for for the dogs.

We just got three days of dry weather. The fields were about to get dry enough to get the equipment in without making deep ruts. The rain returns tomorrow. :roll: Still unable to get the hay cut and in without risk of washed hay. :mad:

whistleing for for the dogs :shock:
We're still bone dry. Milkweed plants are dying - never made a pod!!! Trees are losing leaves. Getting VERY serious.
Remember the old timers said something like "too much rain, you'll always have something to eat - too little rain, can starve you & your animals" (that's not right - but you get the drift??
Hay is getting costly & non-existant around here.
Just had a 2.5 acre pond dug where there was a swamp/creek. Well - USED to be wet - when the crew started & finished - it's just a dust bowl - although they did run into water on the bottom of the pond - which REALLY worries the contractor. He says, if water can come in - it can go out with the pounds of pressure created above it. We were thrilled he hit water. Got a little mini pond started in the bottom. He's a nervous wreck. Built a mini dam around the water hole in case it doesn't hold water, we can drain it without losing ALL the water in the pond. Which actually creates nice structure for the future bass we plan on raising. We plan on adding old tractor tires for structure - anyone know any reason we shouldn't (other than something to catch our lures on)????
They piled up some nice big rocks in one area. I'll post pics soon, but I expect it to be empty for a long time. :(

We've used old tractor tires in our stock tanks as well as our old christmas trees, for places for the fish to hide. Also if you have a pond that won't hold water you can put ducks on it and they will "seal" the bottom with their poop, takes some time but it does work.

We've been having thundershowers every afternoon around 3 or 4 pm and hay has needed cuttin' now for a couple weeks.

Also if you have a pond that won't hold water you can put ducks on it and they will "seal" the bottom with their poop, takes some time but it does work.

I have never heard of this! I had a couple of ponds dug a few years ago. When they hit sand or gravel (about 8 feet deep) they had to cover it with clay about a foot thick and pack it real well to get it hold water.

A neighbor of mine dug a pond five years ago, dug down to the gravel and did nothing. His pond will leak out in about 2 weeks.

I'll have to tell him about the duck trick. How many would it take? A couple of thousand?

jersey lilly":2ydlcrqt said:
We've used old tractor tires in our stock tanks as well as our old christmas trees, for places for the fish to hide.

Now I am not a fisherman but I was talking to an old fisherman here the other day and he said they created these in the river here years ago by dumping old toilets in the river. He said tires did something to the water and the ceramic toilets didn't. Said even the game commission truned their heads when they saw toilets going in but would arrest you if they saw tires in your boat. For what it is worth, that's what he said.

Can you just see a couple thousand ducks on a pond :shock: ??
Actually, we know a guy that his pond wouldn't hold water so he drained it & fed his cattle on the bottom of the pond for a while, than it held water just fine. They punched the hay into the bottom & sealed it.
Glad to hear tires are OK. Thought it would be great structure.

a dozen or so ducks....poop alot lol

had never thought about drainin one and feedin cattle in the bottom either..that'd probably work too.

About the tires...yes I'd assume a game warden or wildlife person would frown on puttin tires off into a river, that's public fishing grounds. Just for the simple reason if one seen doin it and got away with it, then more and more might think it's ok to come dump their tires into a river...but puttin a couple tractor tires into your own personal stock tank...can't see a problem with it..we've done it for years. and have great fishin.

jersey lilly":2xffp64s said:
a dozen or so ducks....poop alot lol

had never thought about drainin one and feedin cattle in the bottom either..that'd probably work too.

About the tires...yes I'd assume a game warden or wildlife person would frown on puttin tires off into a river, that's public fishing grounds. Just for the simple reason if one seen doin it and got away with it, then more and more might think it's ok to come dump their tires into a river...but puttin a couple tractor tires into your own personal stock tank...can't see a problem with it..we've done it for years. and have great fishin.

I don't want to debate the issue as I am no expert but he said they didn't want them to put tires in because apparently the tires reless some toxin into the water. That's all I know. Not much huh?

We had 3-4 days straight where it rained over the weekend and the first part of this week. Even had water standing in the yard now it's gone and the ground is harder than before.

Every morning the weather report says, "don't expect any relief from the heat in the form of shower or storm this afternoon." This morning he tagged the former with' "chances of rain are mighty slim until the first part of next week... so quit calling me asking when it's going to rain!"

Used to be you could say if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes and it would change now I guess it's if you don't like the weather, tough

My boy was trying to talk his way out of a bath the other night after doing chores... Excuse? "God doesn't take a shower every day so I don't see why I have too!" This from an 8 yr old that remarked that God was taking an awful long shower during the last rain. I had to think quick so I responded that God did too take a shower every day just not in the same shower.

I don't know if what I just wrote makes sense. ... He got the idea but it doesn't look quite right on the computer screen...Go Figure...

By the way, I spoke to our fisherie & he said tires are healthy for the pond & great fish structure. So we planted a bunch of tractor tires - two to a pile. Also, added a number of boulders & buckets of stones. Had "fun" working.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2nusdm5k said:
By the way, I spoke to our fisherie & he said tires are healthy for the pond & great fish structure. So we planted a bunch of tractor tires - two to a pile. Also, added a number of boulders & buckets of stones. Had "fun" working.

Only problem I have with adding a lot of structure to a pond is getting hung up in it when I'm fishing

dun

Dun, yes, I struggled with that very same problem. We are NOT putting any trees or stumps for that reason.
Also, I'm mapping all the structure places.
Smallies need rocky areas to propagate. And we can use weedless type hooks in areas of the tires.
We also built a "castle" out of concrete blocks ( a maze of blocks) for the minnows.
Kept the main center section (about 1 acre) totally free of all structure - mostly for swimmers.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":ujp8w5zj said:
Dun, yes, I struggled with that very same problem. We are NOT putting any trees or stumps for that reason.
Also, I'm mapping all the structure places.
Smallies need rocky areas to propagate. And we can use weedless type hooks in areas of the tires.
We also built a "castle" out of concrete blocks ( a maze of blocks) for the minnows.
Kept the main center section (about 1 acre) totally free of all structure - mostly for swimmers.

On the submerged stuff I tie a float with a longish piece of parachute cord. It doesn;t stay directly over the structure but at least it reminds you that there is something there.

dun

Latest posts