Rain Rain East Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
I have not been able to bale any hay this year, to wet. About the time the ground gets dry enough to get across a cloud will come up and rain 1 to 2 inches. The ground is saturated. Went to run the gopher machine this afternoon. Started raining rain for about thirty minutes. 1.5 inches. Some one needs to quit praying for this rain. Maybe prayers are like e-mail, the good Lord has his mail box backed up and is just now getting to the requests. And it looks like to him that people are still wanting rain. Or maybe He has the geographical area mixed up and this should be somewhere else and not in East Texas. We are about 10 inches above normal.

hurleyjd":35kqt0ll said:
I have not been able to bale any hay this year, to wet. About the time the ground gets dry enough to get across a cloud will come up and rain 1 to 2 inches. The ground is saturated. Went to run the gopher machine this afternoon. Started raining rain for about thirty minutes. 1.5 inches. Some one needs to quit praying for this rain. Maybe prayers are like e-mail, the good Lord has his mail box backed up and is just now getting to the requests. And it looks like to him that people are still wanting rain. Or maybe He has the geographical area mixed up and this should be somewhere else and not in East Texas. We are about 10 inches above normal.
Me; everytime I see rain I think of last year. The clasifieds are full of hay for sale ads this year.
This rain may hurt a little but not near as bad as last years drought.
I do wish I could share a little with the folks that need it.

hurleyjd":3cnx5414 said:

We got sixty something inches last year and on track for 80 + this year.

hurleyjd":151gekes said:
I'm just getting in off the hay field. 10:40 pm. Too long of a day for this old man. Had to burn hay that wouldn't bale. I cut it then couldn't get it baled before the rain ruined it , so I set fire to it to get it off the comming grass, the rain just keeps on comming. The field is too wet to get into. This is unheard of for this time of year. I took a hit with losing that crop of hay. Oh well tomorrow is another day..........and the grass sure is comming on pretty. The way to make a small fortune in farming is to start with a large fortune and it becomes a small one real fast........ :shock:

hurleyjd":2vj94gl4 said:
Its raining again here this morning, not much but enough to keep everything wet. Those poor folks north of here in Sherman and Gainsville are still flooded out and getting more.

VZCR":31orr8gn said:
hurleyjd":31orr8gn said:
Its raining again here this morning, not much but enough to keep everything wet. Those poor folks north of here in Sherman and Gainsville are still flooded out and getting more.

I guess it is either feast or famine for both of us. Sure wish you could send some of that rain to TN, we got about .2" and 12 hrs later you couldn't tell it had fallen.

hurleyjd":1d5h0ds5 said:

try a half an inch, just enough to make it muddy. atleast your getting suffecient amounts.

we used to be like that. but now its gotten really dry and we've missed almost all the rain chances we've had. first i was glad cuz we had hay on the ground and more to cut. but now that were caught up, we really need rain.