Rain, Rain and more Rain!

Help Support CattleToday:

Arnold Ziffle

Reaction score
Sure wish we could send some of this rain up to you folks in the plains states and Canada where it would do some good --- or save it for ourselves in July and August. Seems like it will never clear up around here in S.E. Texas. My place has received over 12 inches from Monday through last night. The creek that borders my place is rated at 19.0 feet for flood stage and I just got a report that it was recorded at 20.1 feet early this morning, with more rise predicted. Sure hope the cattle found what little high ground there is!

Any of you Texas based members from around the Hearne area? The weather guessers on TV last night said Hearne got 19 inches yesterday in around a 5 hour period.

I'll swap you for the 15" of snow we've had here in the last few days. My cattle are usually out on pasture by now. It's still below freezing overnight here. We were storm stayed for 2 days and without power for over 9 hours. I'll take some of that rain, if you'll take this.

Arnold Ziffle":2bljweck said:
Sure wish we could send some of this rain up to you folks in the plains states and Canada where it would do some good --- or save it for ourselves in July and August. Seems like it will never clear up around here in S.E. Texas. My place has received over 12 inches from Monday through last night. The creek that borders my place is rated at 19.0 feet for flood stage and I just got a report that it was recorded at 20.1 feet early this morning, with more rise predicted. Sure hope the cattle found what little high ground there is!

Any of you Texas based members from around the Hearne area? The weather guessers on TV last night said Hearne got 19 inches yesterday in around a 5 hour period.

Were about to drown last few calfs quack and have web feet. Got hit hard Tuesday and Thursday. I haven't been able to cut hay yet were up 15 inches for the year.

Just send some a little west to the Dallas area. We could use more!

Campground Cattle":3umczvxt said:
Arnold Ziffle":3umczvxt said:

Were about to drown last few calfs quack and have web feet. Got hit hard Tuesday and Thursday. I haven't been able to cut hay yet were up 15 inches for the year.

We only have had 6 inches here where I am at in south La.
I was watching the Radar on my weather program and just a few miles north of me, it looks like there was a whole lot more.
Maybe Jfont and Arancher would comment on their area.

la4angus":3931kf8l said:
I was watching the Radar on my weather program and just a few miles north of me, it looks like there was a whole lot more.

lots here in our area, too! some areas received 10 inches just yesterday.

I live in East Central Minnesota. We got just a sprinkle of rain on Wednesday, but the last time we had rain before that was on April 18. That was maybe even one of the only rains since the snow melted. It is so dry around here that nothing is growing and the ground is so dry. Just south of us they have been getting rain but it just won't fall here!

I live in East Central Minnesota. We got just a sprinkle of rain on Wednesday, but the last time we had rain before that was on April 18. That was maybe even one of the only rains since the snow melted. It is so dry around here that nothing is growing and the ground is so dry. Just south of us they have been getting rain but it just won't fall here! ( Sorry this posted twice!)

txag":l6ffdr9o said:
la4angus":l6ffdr9o said:

lots here in our area, too! some areas received 10 inches just yesterday.

Received between an inch and half and 2 inches this week- about 1/6 of our yearly average (less than 11 inches a year)-- much of this last moisture was in snow. I was riding a pasture today and almost bogged a horse down in one snowdrift. Good moisture- won't complain- but sure wish it would warm up to get the grass growing.

Hey CattleRack,
Send some of that snow back west, would you? We only ended up with a quarter inch from that drubbing that the rest of the prairies got, and it's still looking like another darn drought here.

Take care. ;-)

its rained a whole lot here. since friday its been nice though. i think total this week it was about 10 inches of rain here. on the news they said hearne was the worst hit place in the area. im in southwest houston, in the bellaire area. at least its over for now. very nice days saturday and sunday though. a little warm, but other than that very nice.

We were close enough. About 30 miles away. We got 4 to 5 inches here. At times Friday morning the sky was so dark it looked like it was evening. Street lights came on it was so dark. We have had a very wet spring to go with a wet winter. I am not complaning though, the past few years the summers have been pretty dry.

La where i'm at we had 12 inches in the last week. Emtied my 5 in guage twice and had some extra. Funny how a few miles make .

Arancher":3i7d1to0 said:
La where i'm at we had 12 inches in the last week. Emtied my 5 in guage twice and had some extra. Funny how a few miles make .
We ended up with a total of 8 in. here.
About 50 Mi. straight East of me there was 21 in fell in the first 4 days.
For comparison purposes Arancher is about 20 mi. east of me and
about 10 mi. north.

Send some my way please. It's so dry the state is considering a total burn ban. My normally tropical lush Spring pastures are brown and crunchy. No rain in sight!

I wish I could have sent you what we got yesterday. One hay field almost completly raked and ready to bale, the other just waiting the second raking. 2/10 of an inch in 15 minutes. Not much, but more then enough to add a whole lot more work to getting the hay in.

dun

D.R. Cattle":2mibp9gr said:
Send some my way please. It's so dry the state is considering a total burn ban. My normally tropical lush Spring pastures are brown and crunchy. No rain in sight!

Latest posts