Rain Gauges

Help Support CattleToday:

SFFarms

Reaction score
I'm tired of relying on the weather channel for rain amounts that are never right for my area, and wondering what is the best method to measure it? We use to have the simple test tube thing on a stand a couple years ago but it seemed unreliable. I saw a cup like device that collects rain and sends it remotely back to a electronic monitor for under $40 and maybe would consider that. So what methods or devices do ya'll use?

Thanks,

SFF

here at the house I have one similiar to the test tube only larger(so the wife can see it) it has a tube about 1.5" in dia and about 2 ft tall and has a funnel to catch the rain about 2.5-3" in dia it seems pretty accurate we also have an electronic one at the ranch and it and the one I have are usually pretty close with their readings

Across the drive way I have a wedged graduated cylinder type gauge haning on one of my posts facing the drive way so that cows cannot knock it down. Down at the farm there are the same gauges at each entry gate off of the county road (three total). The one I hung at the lane gate is an expensive highly accurate gauge. I can't tell any difference between it and the other gauges as far as accuracy goes.

I prefer the tube type that measures in tenths. Almost bought one of giant ones today but it measured just in half inch increments.

Thanks guys for the help and ideas.
We just measure the water in the dog food bowl with our steel ruler
I like that idea, but wouldnt the dog dictate the amount of rain you get? :lol2:

SFFarms":2us0p3w4 said:
So what methods or devices do ya'll use?

Thanks,

SFF

My device is very, very sophisticated, as well as extremely accurate - an empty 5 gallon bucket(there for the purpose of collecting baling twine) in the back of the Kubota ATV, and a ruler. If the bucket is full of string, then I resort to an even more sophisticated method - an empty feed or water tub and a ruler. :lol: :lol: BTW, I empty said bucket/tub between rains.

SFFarms":n7nvtrzs said:
I'm tired of relying on the weather channel for rain amounts that are never right for my area, and wondering what is the best method to measure it? We use to have the simple test tube thing on a stand a couple years ago but it seemed unreliable. I saw a cup like device that collects rain and sends it remotely back to a electronic monitor for under $40 and maybe would consider that. So what methods or devices do ya'll use?

Thanks,

SFF

I've had a couple of those form reputable companys. They all seem to have the same short coming. If you have any near by lightening strikes they seem to get scrweed up and need replacing. If you habe just lightning in the general area the readings are scrwed up for that storm event. For some reason it doesn;t seem to affect the wind or temp.humidity part, just the rain.
I now have gone back to the old style analog rain gauge that measure in 10ths of an inch.

I actually have one of those expensive ones. We use a Davis weather station that records everything. I not only know how much it rains, but when it did rain.

It's helpful during haying season because I can tell what the weather conditions are at the farm from anywhere that I'm at, and can tell when the dew dries.

You can try all the gadgetry, spend all the money you can. The straight tube will give you the same accuracy.

mnmtranching":2rdp16c7 said:
You can try all the gadgetry, spend all the money you can. The straight tube will give you the same accuracy.

True, but when you're 20 miles away from the farm with hay on the ground, it's great to just be able to check my weather station on the web to see if the dew is dry. It doesn't take many wasted trips to pay for the tech.

We use the "disposable" ones that the farm credit lender gives away every time I have a closing with them.. so I have enough around that I can replace them often.

Interestingly.. we have one on a corner post here near the house, and the other up at the gate by the road, and nine times out of ten there will be different amounts in each of them. :roll:

TheBullLady":2gml22jh said:
Interestingly.. we have one on a corner post here near the house, and the other up at the gate by the road, and nine times out of ten there will be different amounts in each of them. :roll:
Rain can vary that much. This last rain between my neighbors gauge and two of mine all in a line with roughly an even spacing of 1/4 mile, His gauge (same as mine) had 3.8". Of mine, the one in the middle had 2.3 inches and the one farthest from his had an even 3 inches. Just about every rain will have at least .1" variance between gauges. Now when we get into the fall and winter season with the light 3 day rains, those type are more apt to be evenly dispersed.

"Acurite" is the name on mine at the gates. They're cheap and seem to work just as good as the high dollar one I have.

msscamp - there's no way I could afford 4 Kubota's :D Buckets would not be an issue tho. There's too many pastures and projects scattered along the 22 mile variation.

We had a couple thundershowers roll through during the night. I have rain gauges spaced around ]like 7] in areas of the ranch. All within 2 1/2 miles. Like always in thundershowers there is usually more then 1/2 inch variation and often within 1/4 mile.
I don't consider myself as deserving of any favors but, the field I had hay down got only a trace. :shock: :welcome:

SFFarms":1ey41rj6 said:

Thanks,

SFF
The simple test tube thing on a stand, as you call it, is the ONLY reliable way to gauge how much rain fell within a small area. Think about it awhile and I think you'll agree.

Latest posts