Rain and hay making.....or not

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Gal

Reaction score
Just checked the gauge; it's at 2.1inches and still raining. I'm thankful for the rain but we really need a small break to get some hay cut and baled. We've been trying to clear and clean up a pasture since mid December. The weather has really slowed us down to say the least. I heard on the news yesterday evening that north central Texas has only had 4 dry weekends in the first of the year!! I believe it. We've had 10 inches this month already.

Think we're going to get away with just a trace. Now to dodge Tuesday's forecast. Well probably tomorrow and Mondays also since it's just a small chance. But it has been six weeks since it started raining, now it's six to sixteen weeks without if you look are recent patterns.

Texas Gal said:
Just checked the gauge; it's at 2.1inches and still raining. I'm thankful for the rain but we really need a small break to get some hay cut and baled. We've been trying to clear and clean up a pasture since mid December. The weather has really slowed us down to say the least. I heard on the news yesterday evening that north central Texas has only had 4 dry weekends in the first of the year!! I believe it. We've had 10 inches this month already.

We've only had 11.4 inches for the year, and 6" of that came in January. I'd trade with you in a heartbeat.

This may be a third year of slushy springs and arid summers. Can't bale a winter crop because of the water. Can't raise a summer crop because it's too arid, of if you can get one started early enough, but doubtful with late spring rains. one cutting if you make it and the Sugar Cane Aphids hit you. Sure glad I no longer have bovines to feed.

Latest posts