Rail Road Rails

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I purchased a used big bale wagon recently. It is a Harms wagon with two railroad rails length wise and treated wooden beams cross wise. Works great. It came up in a discussion how much weight before those RR rails would bend. Wagon 16 feet between bolsters. Thanks farm guy

Rails come in different sizes. The most typical is 130 lb/yd. But, there are several sizes that are used. I have no idea how much weight it would take to bend them, but I do know that temperature has a lot to do with it. Sometimes they will warp on their own with the right extreme temperature changes. Don't ask me how, but they do.

Edit: Called a friend who works for Norfolk Southern, he said that if they are on cross ties spaced as per specification (about 40 ties every 65ft) that they can hold over 1 million pounds. He said they are much easier to bend side to side, and that is why they will warp on occasion.

Last edited:
We use 8 inch eye beams for wagons runners. Or 8 inch channel which ever i can get cheaper. Have a few with 6 inch and little spacer blocks. These are all 20 22 or 24 haul hay and green tobacco on them all the time never had a problem. I would think the rail road would be alot stronger and heavier. Got a few cotton wagons they are alot lighter made no problems

Latest posts