Ragweed

Help Support CattleToday:

At 67, I have yet to see anyone successfully eradicate any weeds using sprays. However proper grazing will change your soil biology so that they don't come back. If your cattle are so messed up they don't eat it pack them in on it until they bed down. Between the trampling and fertilization when the cattle get up, you will be farther ahead than spraying or burning. Chances are, bet dem down on it once and they will start eating it.
I like your answer Bob. Might i add if his cattle don't absolutely love eating ragweed down as a treat on their own.....the cattle might need their heads checked....yeah, bed them down and hold them in the ragweed...they'll learn fast to love the taste.

My cattle pick at the ragweed but it has slowly taken over one large pasture..I hate the stuff.. you can keep the ragweed but I'll take all the Johnson grass I can get..

Spraying my fence lines used 12 oz round up to 12oz of 24d per gallon it sure didn't like that. It's so strong we got a inch of rain and you still smell it.

What is your application rate for the 50/50 cocktail and do you use a surfactant?

We get it really bad in areas that the ground has been disturbed in, in the feeding areas, wet spots that the cows have tromped into mud, field roads, etc. I have never seen our cows eat it. It will flat out thrive in the super rich soil of a feedlot where nothing else will grow.

The pollen from it this time of year will turn a Case into a John Deere when you drive through it. The stuff will grow 6ft tall if you let it.

Best thing is to spray it early in the summer, glyphosate will kill it, 24D will work as well if you don't want to kill the grass along with it. I have sprayed it later in the year right after mowing, but it is mostly a waste of time since it is nearing dormancy anyway.

I have read that it is actually really high in protein, but because it is so prickly, not many animals will eat it.

I've read that there is not much better for dove hunting than a nice stand of giant ragweed.

For mist spraying I will usually do 2.5 gal of Roundup to 40 gal of water with a quart of surfactant. Way overkill, but with misting you usually don't get as good of a soak and it is inefficient.

For spot spraying 2-4oz per gallon is a good mix for pretty much everything.

I've read that there is not much better for dove hunting than a nice stand of giant ragweed.

For mist spraying I will usually do 2.5 gal of Roundup to 40 gal of water with a quart of surfactant. Way overkill, but with misting you usually don't get as good of a soak and it is inefficient.

For spot spraying 2-4oz per gallon is a good mix for pretty much everything.

. . . or goat weed.

I like your answer Bob. Might i add if his cattle don't absolutely love eating ragweed down as a treat on their own.....the cattle might need their heads checked....yeah, bed them down and hold them in the ragweed...they'll learn fast to love the taste.
You'd be amazed at the number of cattle that won't eat ragweed and a whole host of other things. New it was bad, but didn't really realize how bad we have screwed up the diet diversity in cattle until I started teaching IMG principles.

My cattle pick at the ragweed but it has slowly taken over one large pasture. I hate the stuff.. you can keep the ragweed but I'll take all the Johnson grass I can get..
shows you need a higher density on the ragweed. Hit it hard enough and the grass will come back. All has to do with changing your soil quality

Bob…your full of ragweed fodder…😏
Nope, supplements tend to get cattle to ignore plants they should be consuming. Bad stockmanship just adds to that plus a lot of behavioral things that most people consider cattle to do naturally. Been watching this for 60 years so, like Farmers Insurance, "I've seen a thing or two."

Latest posts