Ragweed Herbicide for Pasture Use

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks, I've always used 2,4d also but there's a jug of GrazonNext sitting in the shop staring at me.

3 years ago 25acres behind me had peanuts , and pigweed galore , 2017 it was planted in coastal and the rains missed us so it came up pigweed ragweed dogfennel crabgrass with a hill or 2 of common and bahia . the farmer didnt do anything with it so i turned the cows in on itin the fall they cleaned up pretty good but I knew the they scattered seed everywhere . after the first frost I mowed it clean , Had some wild rye and winter weeds I grazed this spring and about a month ago it was flush with all the aforementioned weeds and a decent stand of native grass so I grazed it again pulled cows sprayed with Grazon . waited 2 weeks and everything that was gonna die was dead or almost dead. I mowed it again to stimulate the grasses . If we get some rain in the next few weeks I'm most likely gonna spread a little N and will be able to Cut the field for hay. It looks excellent

2, 4D with Picloram (Tordon) most commonly known as Grazon.

Although I'm having a heck of a time keeping the stuff out of our feed lots. I mowed it off and then sprayed it last year, which killed it, but it came right back again this year.

2, 4D will not hurt your pasture grasses, and 2, 4DB (Butyrac) is supposed to not hurt clover as bad.

M-5":8cdpwecm said:
cfpinz":8cdpwecm said:
Thanks, I've always used 2,4d also but there's a jug of GrazonNext sitting in the shop staring at me.

how many acres ?? I use 25.6oz per acre and get good results 20 gals of water per acre if its small you could bump it to QT per acre

About 85 or so.

Thank You.

Atimm693":22n5ipgw said:
2, 4D will not hurt your pasture grasses, and 2, 4DB (Butyrac) is supposed to not hurt clover as bad.

Thanks. I've noticed with the regular 2,4d that it'll burn the clover a good bit but not kill it completely.

I sprayed some 2 4 db this spring. I/am was satisfied with the results. Having a big problem with horse nettle. Other than that, the hayfield is clean. It was also fed on part of the winter. I feel it is pricey. But the clover is doing great. And i like my clover.

The pasture i sprayed with it has far less weeds than the not sprayed. It worked on ragweed too. Barely any on it.

I'll agree that 2,4D and Grazonext will get most types of Ragweed. In fact I spray Grazonnext or Grazon P+D every year but you really need to know what type of weed you are after. For several years I had a ragweed problem that finally choked out all my grass. I had been spraying Next or P+D and it would turn yellow but never get a good kill. I ended up finding out that what I had was Western Ragweed. The next year we sprayed Banvel and it knocked 90% of the ragweed out. Sprayed Banvel the following year and the western ragweed is gone. Banvel was pricey but this year I was able to go back to P+D. I say all this because you really need to know what the target weed is. A chemical supplier or extension agent should be able to help. I feel like I pretty much wasted 3 yrs fighting ragweed.

M-5":25t17bd8 said:
3 years ago 25acres behind me had peanuts , and pigweed galore , 2017 it was planted in coastal and the rains missed us so it came up pigweed ragweed dogfennel crabgrass with a hill or 2 of common and bahia . the farmer didnt do anything with it so i turned the cows in on itin the fall they cleaned up pretty good but I knew the they scattered seed everywhere . after the first frost I mowed it clean , Had some wild rye and winter weeds I grazed this spring and about a month ago it was flush with all the aforementioned weeds and a decent stand of native grass so I grazed it again pulled cows sprayed with Grazon . waited 2 weeks and everything that was gonna die was dead or almost dead. I mowed it again to stimulate the grasses . If we get some rain in the next few weeks I'm most likely gonna spread a little N and will be able to Cut the field for hay. It looks excellent

Latest posts