Radiator Repair?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowsrus

Reaction score
I need some advice on how to fix a radiator. I have a John Deere 4230 that the radiator is leaking on the seam right below the neck. I have attempted to repair this before a couple of times by soldering and both times a small leak has showed up later. Stop leak worked for a while but now its leaking pretty bad and i,m going to have to fix it. It,s kind of hard to get out of the tractor to take to a radiator shop, but if I can,t fix it, thats what i,m going to have to do. I know how to solder, but radiators have always been a problem for me. Doe,s anyone have any method that works?

cowsrus":2b37456n said:
I need some advice on how to fix a radiator. I have a John Deere 4230 that the radiator is leaking on the seam right below the neck. I have attempted to repair this before a couple of times by soldering and both times a small leak has showed up later. Stop leak worked for a while but now its leaking pretty bad and i,m going to have to fix it. It,s kind of hard to get out of the tractor to take to a radiator shop, but if I can,t fix it, thats what i,m going to have to do. I know how to solder, but radiators have always been a problem for me. Doe,s anyone have any method that works?
well it sounds like you have two choices.haul the tractor to the shop.or take the radiator off an take it to the shop.either way is a big pain in the backside.youll have to put a new core in the radiator.

You say its on the neck
The necks are soldered in anyway
Cleanliness is a necessity and without taking it out getting it clean is difficult. The other point is gravity plays the biggest part in soldering

Clean it up properly -I have used Phospheric acid for this before but clean steel wool works best . Wipe it dry with a clean -no grease- rag
Dont put your fingerprints on it

Paint on with an artists brush some liquid soldering flux and get a hot iron, just get some in fully then try to leave a build up around the leak spot-dont keep the iron there too long at a time as the inside solder just runs away -sometimes it even works if you refill it to put the last blobs on . Try without first though

If that doesn't work you have to get it out

cowsrus":3q9ly55d said:

I used JB Weld on a radiator (that was 5 years ago now) where the neck is soldered in the top. It had a very small crack about 1/3rd around the neck. I used some scotchbrite to clean the area.I looked at it last time I ran it and it's still holding.

rmcva":mnsm2nju said:
I used JB Weld on a radiator (that was 5 years ago now) where the neck is soldered in the top. It had a very small crack about 1/3rd around the neck. I used some scotchbrite to clean the area.I looked at it last time I ran it and it's still holding.

I used it too on the top tank that had cracked where it rolled over to hold the innards. I sold it after 5 years and it was still holding strong. I did pout a lower pound rated cap on it thogh. The 12 pound one showed up too many leaks and the stop leak in the fin part wouldn;t hold up more then amonth or so.

dun":3mum8zjx said:
rmcva":3mum8zjx said:

I used it too on the top tank that had cracked where it rolled over to hold the innards. I sold it after 5 years and it was still holding strong. I did pout a lower pound rated cap on it thogh. The 12 pound one showed up too many leaks and the stop leak in the fin part wouldn;t hold up more then amonth or so.

Probably sold it to some putz on ebay. "Excellent Condition."

cfpinz

cfpinz":3h9q4rki said:
dun":3h9q4rki said:
rmcva":3h9q4rki said:

Probably sold it to some putz on ebay. "Excellent Condition."

cfpinz

I think it was a pinz not a putz

Latest posts