raccoon latrine (ugh!)

Help Support CattleToday:

ccw

Reaction score
Just read about Dieselbeef's birds in the barn problem. We had that problem some time ago, got it solved when the raccoons moved in. What a siege we've had with those dern critters! Long story short, we may have got them chased out (cross my fingers), but they left behind a nasty latrine in an unused loft area. I have learned a lot from a Google search about just how germy this crap is (no surprise there) and some guidelines for clean-up. Just wondering if anyone has actual experience with getting rid of this stuff and has some pointers to pass along, hindsight being such a good teacher.

I would wear gloves and maybe even a mask, get it cleaned up and disinfect the area. Take a shower and wash your clothes and disinfect your boots before you come into contact with any other animals.

Yep, gloves and masks definitely, thinking about disposable boot covers too, but don't know how easy it will be to walk in 'em. Hubby is considering first misting the stuff with a light diesel/oil mix of some sort to keep the dust down, then disinfecting the whole area when it's cleared out.

Latest posts