Rabies

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I took Bo and the Kit Kat in for their required vaccs and wellness exam today (Bo my scotch collie is the one that had the life threatening injury last year).

Anyways Bo being 12 and 1/2 years old and in dog years for his breed and size 90 years old the vet (new gal very nice and really thorough) suggested that with Bo's age and not knowing any underling health issues such as lymphoma etc, that we do not give him his rabies boosters. We discussed it and I definitely agreed because I would hate to put him at risk at all and he does not go anywhere anymore and has never harmed a sole so there will never be an issue of safety..

Has anyone else heard of this or faced an on set of complications after vaccinating a mature dog for rabies, btw Bo has been on schedule for all Vaccs. since we rescued him at a year and a half old.

Fwiw a dog barking in the background(not mine) makes it completely impossible to pop a pill down a cats throat no matter how calm and easy going the kitty kat usually is.. :lol2: OUCH.. :help:

Just rabies ,but that was all the necessary vaccs he needed at this time , he got the optional Giardia that I prefer as we do live in the country and it is not unlikely for them to drink out of water holes.

She said that the rabies vacc could weaken his immune system and any underlining problems will occur faster (considering his age) ..
I have to say that it makes sense and that at his age he should have enough immunity built up because of all of his vaccs being current.

Rabies for dogs are really more of a preventative action for humans not dogs, as we do not have a lot of rabies carrying animals (raccoons etc.)..

If it was something like distemper I would definitely have him vacc. as that can be brought home on your footwear and transferred to your pet .

Hillsdown: My wife has raised and shown dogs for almost 30 years. She agrees with you and your vet. Best not to give older dogs the rabies vaccine unless the law forces you to.

So I should not worry about vaccing my indoor dog for rabies? She's allergic to so much, I would hate to supress her immune system further than I have to. Cole needs it and we get him vacced every year. He's into everything. Lexi just goes outdoors to pee and lay on the porch when we are out there. And she likes to lay under trees waiting for the squirrel that never shows up. I don't know what she'd do it she saw one. Run back to us, most likely.

Lammie":6se54vz8 said:
So I should not worry about vaccing my indoor dog for rabies? She's allergic to so much, I would hate to supress her immune system further than I have to. Cole needs it and we get him vacced every year. He's into everything. Lexi just goes outdoors to pee and lay on the porch when we are out there. And she likes to lay under trees waiting for the squirrel that never shows up. I don't know what she'd do it she saw one. Run back to us, most likely.

If it is the law in your area and you have to register your dogs then you need to vaccinate..
I would talk to your vet the next time you are in. Steff is the same age as Bo and she had her rabies last month, but she goes places with me and has contact with more humans. It all depends on the situation, and how prevalent rabies is in your area ..You never hear of a case around here. Rabies are more for human protection than the dog the only thing you will have to be prepared for is if your dog does but someone and you do not have the rabies cert. the dog will be taken and have it's head cut off to be tested.. :???:

Steff is also in better shape than Bo, that injury really did a job on him , but I am just happy he is still with us. Steff is do for rabies again in 3 years, God willing if she is still with us she will not have the vaccine.

I have to take her for her cortisone shot next week. I'll ask. She's about eight, I guess. We got her used.

Keep in mind that bats can also carry rabies and it can be transmitted in their feces. I do agree that it can weaken their immune systems, and if it is not required by law in your state then an older dog could be vaccinated for rabies every 3 years.

Latest posts