rabies in cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

tup

Reaction score
i guess its that time of year rabies case comfirmed not far from here(rabid racoon, biting dog). it seems to be a problem here every year. my little girl came home from school all to pieces over it, worried about the cows. i know she was thinkin of old yeller which she had recently watched. but i got to thinkin. are there many cases of rabies in cattle? our major rabies cases here in the last few years have been rabid coyotes atacking humans. almost killed a poor woman last year and even put a man in the hospital. i'm not even sure i would know a rabid cow. any voice of experience or knowledge could be helpful here :frowns:

Run a search on here, we talked about it a while back. Yes, cattle can get rabies, we have had 2 cases over the years. I'm also a little paranoid about it b/c our cattle are curious and walk up to most anyone, including animals. You can vaccinate for it I guess, but we never have.

Years ago before I moved to the United States, I still lived in Kalifornia, a neighbor lost a prize palomino Shetland Pony stallion to a rabid skunk. Out there skunks were probably the primary vector as they were almost a common as chiggers are here.

I don't know what others do other places, but here our vet says that rabies in cattle is extremely rare, and a waste of money for the vaccination. He has been a vet for over 30 years and has seen it twice in this area.

Its rare- but 15 yrs ago my husband and a friend had to get shots because a calf they worked up came up rabid.