Rabbit / Deer Hunting builds with the kids

Help Support CattleToday:

I framed up 2 shooting houses/blinds today under the kids careful supervision they even double checked my measurments. I am probably going to stick legs on 1 and other leave as is and sit on the ground. I only have 8 more to build. The local power company came by and saw me out building them and asked could I build 40 of them without legs for 250 each money sounds good just no time.

Looks nice. What type seat do you plan on putting in the stand? It looks like your cross member is a bit high for a chair or are you coming in below this with another board parallel?

Jogeephus":sg6gbi60 said:
Looks nice. What type seat do you plan on putting in the stand? It looks like your cross member is a bit high for a chair or are you coming in below this with another board parallel?

I got a few old adjustable office chairs I will stick in some the shooting rail is 40 inches which for me is a good height im 6'2 and the adjustable chair should help anyone else. I tried those foldable chairs that come in the bag where you take to a park or something and it is way to low to use with a 40inch high rail. The stands I make without office chairs I may have to drop it down to 36 inches or shorter I will test before putting that cross member in. Make sense ? I am gonna test the office chair maybe tomorrow to make sure it will work.

I like my rest at 36" and the window will have a 12" opening. Mine are only 5' tall, but it only takes 3 and a 1/4 sheets of plywood to build one box. I put carpet on the floor, it cuts the noise way down.

highgrit":lz5ylfgy said:
I like my rest at 36" and the window will have a 12" opening. Mine are only 5' tall, but it only takes 3 and a 1/4 sheets of plywood to build one box. I put carpet on the floor, it cuts the noise way down.

My window will be 12 h x 24 L I am going to do some with osb because I have it taking up space and nothing else to do with it I will prime it good and maybe camo it but I think long as the obs isn't flat and water sits on it. it should be good atleast for a few years. I will put that blue foam insulation or carpet if I can find remnants for cheap at lowes. I am also going to use that pipe foam to insulate any cracks.

I paint mine with a black oil based paint. I mix a 3rd. paint, a 3rd. diesel and a 3rd. used motor oil. It will soak in the wood good, and dry in a day. It also works good on fences and post also.

I will keep that in mind thanks I guess if I paint it with diesel and such I need to do it now so the smell goes away. I bet that diesel smell and oil it probably keeps the skeeters away too.

Ran a pack of beagles for years in my younger days.
Was my entertainment from the close of deer season till next, in Texas we can run them year around.
Lot of fun times with the boys.

Caustic Burno":1vkj284y said:
Ran a pack of beagles for years in my younger days.
Was my entertainment from the close of deer season till next, in Texas we can run them year around.
Lot of fun times with the boys.

That's what I do when deer season ends. We can run deer hounds and beagles all year round but we can't hunt though. I like going with no more than 4- 6 guys or it can get dangerous. Do yall use shock collars so the dogs don't chase deer ? I was going rabbit hunting tomorrow but I was just informed by my wife she has to work so looks like me and the kids will be building again tomorrow :lol2:

Caustic Burno":w1w7149x said:
I use to train mine down in the rice fields weren't any deer there.
The swamp rabbits would be thick as fleas on the canal levee's .

friend of mine got rid of 4 beagles this week cause they were deer burners... I gotcha everywhere we hunt here has a pile of deer so we have to have the shock collars. I haven't killed any rabbits this year or went out yet. The swamp rabbits we call them blue tails here they can sure take a dog for a nice ride.

high the one I made today is 36" on the left with that fold up chair and the one on the right is 40" gun rest height.

I put one of them on 4' legs I used the waferboard since I had 11 sheets doing nothing I plan on sealing with primer and waterproofer they should last a few years atleast I screwed the whole thing so it should be easy to unscrew and put more sides on when the time comes.

Latest posts