R- calf funds at work.

Help Support CattleToday:

frenchie

Reaction score
Heres a little something I stumbled on... about |Farm Sanctuary, buddies of R- calf ..you be the judge...

this is their statement

Since the 1980s a series of mergers and acquisitions has resulted in concentrating over 80% of the 35 million beef cattle slaughtered annually in the U.S. into the hands of four huge corporations.

Many beef cattle are born and live on the range, foraging and fending for themselves for months or even years. They are not adequately protected against inclement weather, and they may die of dehydration or freeze to death. Injured, ill, or otherwise ailing animals do not receive necessary veterinary attention. One common malady afflicting beef cattle is called "cancer eye." Left untreated, the cancer eats away at the animal's eye and face, eventually producing a crater in the side of the animal's head.

Accustomed to roaming unimpeded and unconstrained, range cattle are frightened and confused when humans come to round them up. Terrified animals are often injured, some so severely that they become "downed" (unable to walk or even stand). These downed animals commonly suffer for days without receiving food, water or veterinary care, and many die of neglect. Others are dragged, beaten, and pushed with tractors on their way to slaughter.

Many cattle will experience additional transportation and handling stress at stockyards and auctions, where they are goaded through a series of walkways and holding pens and sold to the highest bidder. From the auction, older cattle may be taken directly to slaughter, or they may be taken to a feedlot. Younger animals and breeding-age cows may go back to the range.

Ranchers still identify cattle the same way they have since pioneer days — with hot iron brands. Needless to say, this practice is extremely traumatic and painful, and the animals bellow loudly as ranchers' brands are burned into their skin. Beef cattle are also subjected to 'waddling,' another type of identification marking. This painful procedure entails cutting chunks out of the hide that hangs under the animals' necks. Waddling marks are supposed to be large enough so that ranchers can identify their cattle from a distance.

Most beef cattle spend the last few months of their lives at feedlots, crowded by the thousands into dusty, manure-laden holding pens. The air is thick with harmful bacteria and particulate matter, and the animals are at a constant risk for respiratory disease. Feedlot cattle are routinely implanted with growth-promoting hormones, and they are fed unnaturally rich diets designed to fatten them quickly and profitably. Because cattle are biologically suited to eat a grass-based, high fiber diet, their concentrated feedlot rations contribute to metabolic disorders.

Cattle may be transported several times during their lifetimes, and they may travel hundreds or even thousands of miles during a single trip. Long journeys are very stressful and contribute to disease and even death. The Drover's Journal reports, "Shipping fever costs livestock producers as much as $1 billion a year."

Young cattle are commonly taken to areas with cheap grazing land, to take advantage of this inexpensive feed source. Upon reaching maturity, they are trucked to a feedlot to be fattened and readied for slaughter. Eventually, all of them will end up at the slaughterhouse.

A standard beef slaughterhouse kills 250 cattle every hour. The high speed of the assembly line makes it increasingly difficult to treat animals with any semblance of humaneness. A Meat & Poultry article states, "Good handling is extremely difficult if equipment is 'maxed out' all the time. It is impossible to have a good attitude toward cattle if employees have to constantly overexert themselves, and thus transfer all that stress right down to the animals, just to keep up with the line."

Prior to being hung up by their back legs and bled to death, cattle are supposed to be rendered unconscious, as stipulated by the federal Humane Slaughter Act. This 'stunning' is usually done by a mechanical blow to the head. However, the procedure is terribly imprecise, and inadequate stunning is inevitable. As a result, conscious animals are often hung upside down, kicking and struggling, while a slaughterhouse worker makes another attempt to render them unconscious. Eventually, the animals will be "stuck" in the throat with a knife, and blood will gush from their bodies whether or not they are unconscious.

This is detailed in an April 2001 Washington Post article, which describes typical slaughterplant conditions:

The cattle were supposed to be dead before they got to Moreno. But too often they weren't.

They blink. They make noises, he said softly. The head moves, the eyes are wide and looking around. Still Moreno would cut. On bad days, he says, dozens of animals reached his station clearly alive and conscious. Some would survive as far as the tail cutter, the belly ripper, the hide puller. They die, said Moreno, piece by piece...

"In plants all over the United States, this happens on a daily basis," said Lester Friedlander, a veterinarian and formerly chief government inspector at a Pennsylvania hamburger plant. "I've seen it happen. And I've talked to other veterinarians. They feel it's out of control."

The U.S. Department of Agriculture oversees the treatment of animals in meat plants, but enforcement of the law varies dramatically. While a few plants have been forced to halt production for a few hours because of alleged animal cruelty, such sanctions are rare.

Reaction to the Washington Post investigative piece and others like it precipitated a Congressional resolution reiterating the importance of the Humane Slaughter Act, but to date, there is little if any indication that the situation for animals in slaughterhouses has appreciably improved.

So other then R-calf buddying up with these orgs., what's the R-Calf connection to the article.

dun

I guess I've got to wonder what good it would do R-CALF to be affiliated with a group with views like these. I mean I understand them trying to keep the border closed for fear that their prices may go down a bit when it opens but this sort of stuff isn't good for anybody in the beef industry, Canadian or American.

dun":fbzhumdn said:
So other then R-calf buddying up with these orgs., what's the R-Calf connection to the article.

dun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dun

Parts of another post I had made.

BEEF Magazine's Cow Calf Weekly (May 29, 2004):

. R-CALF made it clear this week, however, that the organization believes that the end does justify any means.

The group held a press conference on Thursday, hand in hand with radical anti-beef activist groups, to denounce USDA's handling of the BSE situation. The press event in Washington, D.C., questioned the safety of beef, and called for government hearings on the matter.

As could be expected, the National Cattlemen's Beef Association and other groups issued blistering press releases questioning R-CALF's decision and motives. It's shocking, following the disastrous statements regarding beef safety just a few weeks ago, that rather than issue an apology, the organization confirms to all that it is willing to destroy beef demand in order to further its isolationist, protectionist, anti-trade policies.

R-CALF's members have far too much invested to have the organization lose all credibility or be subverted by these radical stands.

For a moment, consider the caliber of groups R-CALF publicly aligned itself with this week:

The Consumer Federation of America (CFA) is famous for opposing irradiation, and pushing for the reduction of beef in the school lunch program among other things. CFA's leader, Carol Tucker Foreman, is famous for her anti-beef rhetoric and efforts to stir up the hysteria about the safety of our product.

Then there's Public Citizen (PC), which gains its supposed credibility through founder Ralph Nader. But PC is best known for its membership in the Global Safe Food Alliance, formed by such animal rights organizations as Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, the Western Organization of Resource Councils, Farm Sanctuary, etc., to put out anti-meat messages.

The connection is trough the public citzen group. Who is actively anti- beef .R - calf public campaigns hand in hand with them over the b.s.e issue. While at the same time,its buddy is actively promoteing anti- beef, and slamming the ranching industry..thats an incredible use of funds is,nt it.

The point I was trying to make was that it isn';t r-calf directly that put out the information.
It goes back to an earlier comment I made. Go to bed with a dog you get up with fleas. And all r-calf is doing is lending creedence to these wacko groups and they think they're going to change them. FAT CHANCE
But the link is still indirect, but I agree, shamefull.
In a Drovers alert, r-calf had asked NCBA to join them in their lawsuit. NCBA declined and prefer to work within the structure of the USDA.

dun

dun":27qheckv said:
The point I was trying to make was that it isn';t r-calf directly that put out the information.
It goes back to an earlier comment I made. Go to bed with a dog you get up with fleas. And all r-calf is doing is lending creedence to these wacko groups and they think they're going to change them. FAT CHANCE
But the link is still indirect, but I agree, shamefull.
In a Drovers alert, r-calf had asked NCBA to join them in their lawsuit. NCBA declined and prefer to work within the structure of the USDA.

dun

Point taken

frenchie

when will canada open it's border to countires that have confirmed bse cattle ? are canada's anti-trade policies protectionist , isolationist ???

WORANCH":1givr6ry said:
frenchie

when will canada open it's border to countires that have confirmed bse cattle ? are canada's anti-trade policies protectionist , isolationist ???

Protectnists thats a joke.....right. Whos headed to the lawyers now eh.whos always challenging Nafta .... who has placed countless tariffs on canadian products...and lastly who has challenged the Canadian Wheat Board and lost 13 consective times ... U.S groups thats who.

Could open it anytime, I don,t care....I am not afraid of competion... unlike you R- calfers..We already opened the border to U.S cattle from bluetonque and anapolasmis.

Even reopened after your 1st case of B.S.E in an imported Canadian cow.question is where was that cow infected...

furthermore I also know that the U.S has never allowed live cattle from a B.S.E country before ......but that is only one side of the story U.S beef is banned in Britian because of the use of hormones in cattle production..Payback U.S style..

good luck

furthermore I also know that the U.S has never allowed live cattle from a B.S.E country before ......but that is only one side of the story U.S beef is banned in Britian because of the use of hormones in cattle production..Payback U.S style..

good luck[/quote]

you both side steped the question .. does canada import beef from Britian ? NO Why ? BSE... and in March we will be allowing live cattle from a BSE country into the US

One more thing I'm not an R-Calf supporter .

Cattle Rack Rancher":ozlnijjz said:
Our borders have been opened to the US for quite some time, don't you think its about time that you reciprocate.

nope... we haven't had an infected cow for some time...

WORANCH":3au4sncq said:

good luck

Frenchie......you both side steped the question .. does canada import beef from Britian ? NO Why ? BSE... and in March we will be allowing live cattle from a BSE country into the US

One more thing I'm not an R-Calf supporter .

WORANCH....You asked if we import beef from a b.s.e country...YES.......We import beef from you, even though when you found a Canadian born cow in Washington with B.S.E you still put it in the food chain.Sloppy , sloppy... at least our cases never hit the grocery shelf.

In case you had not noticed the world views you as a b.s.e country..

Now heres a question for you does the U.S import Beef from Japan. :?: .... If not ......why not they test every one for b.s.e.... :?:

Protectism is why ....

The same reason that The U.S closed the border to all ruminants from Canada.. not just cattle...but sheep, goats,Bison etc.

Even though Bison have never had a known case Of B.S.E

Good luck

Jake":26rkuvs2 said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":26rkuvs2 said:
Our borders have been opened to the US for quite some time, don't you think its about time that you reciprocate.

nope... we haven't had an infected cow for some time...

We would not have any either, but we don,t use your superior testing system.

then don't even bring them to the slaughter house... shoot them and through them in a draw out back... not our fault you test animals that should never be touched anyways...

I've said it before... It's a horrible situation your in... wouldn't wana be there myself. But how about you guys implement the tracking system and sell your beef to Japan, and just keep it out of here and we won't send any to Japan and won't import from Australia, South Africa, or Africa... With the cost of implementing our own system to meet the demands of the Japanese the gain we'll have after having your guys' beef come back down will be gone...

Jake":e7ierwsz said:
then don't even bring them to the slaughter house... shoot them and through them in a draw out back... not our fault you test animals that should never be touched anyways...

I've said it before... It's a horrible situation your in... wouldn't wana be there myself. But how about you guys implement the tracking system and sell your beef to Japan, and just keep it out of here and we won't send any to Japan and won't import from Australia, South Africa, or Africa... With the cost of implementing our own system to meet the demands of the Japanese the gain we'll have after having your guys' beef come back down will be gone...

Jake

I was refering to the over 500 cows in U.S plants that showed nervous disorder symptoms similar to B.S.E that the U.S.D.A swept under the rug...

Furthermore we don,t need to implement a I.D tracking system . We already have one in place .Have had for the last 3 yrs
How about the U.S... sorry i forgot you are still working on it.

The day U.S companies quit selling there products in Canada is the day I quit trying to sell my beef or live cattle in the U.S...

you want it both ways... You want us to buy your farm equipment, autos , consumer goods.And then block out Canadian farm products...
Whatever happened to Nafta agreement we both signed.....

I quess if it doesn,t work for you ....file another lawsuit.

good luck.