R&D Ranch

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We went to a presentation by the R&D Ranch yesterday, sponsored by our Beef Checkoff folks. These guys are not cattlemen. They are in the business of developing new ways to market beef. Between them, they had over 100 years of developing and marketing new products. One of them developed the KFC Chicken Nuggets, one did the Steakum sandwich. A meat scientist talked about the work they're doing on analyzing different muscles to see how they can add value. They've convinced packers to sell a cut of beef that used to go into the grinder for ground beef to smaller companies that divide it up into three muscles. One of those muscles is used for the Rotiss-a-Roast; one is used in the precooked pot roast. They say it adds $5 to the carcass value. That's not a lot; but when you consider how many thousands of carcasses go through a packing plant in a year, it could add up to serious money. Lunch was the new Boneless Beef Filet. It's a 3-6 oz filet built to compete with boneless chicken breast. Also tried samples of some other new stuff. The beef ham tastes like ham. About thirty percent of people in the US don't eat pork for various reason, religion, health, etc. And was surprised at how good the Cheesburger Fries were. A whole different look at the cattle business. If you get a chance to go to one of these, take the time.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Hi, Frankie!<br>Seems that you attended a good meeting with good presentations. Where did this meeting take place and who sponsored it?<p>I believe its taken almost 10 years, but I think the Checkoff is beginning to have a very positive impact on the consumer and convience products.<p>If beef use has been falling for the last eight or so years, what do you think has changed that cycle last year? I don't think Oprah did and I don't think the LMA did either!<p><p><br>: We went to a presentation by the R&D Ranch yesterday, sponsored by our Beef Checkoff folks. These guys are not cattlemen. They are in the business of developing new ways to market beef. Between them, they had over 100 years of developing and marketing new products. One of them developed the KFC Chicken Nuggets, one did the Steakum sandwich. A meat scientist talked about the work they're doing on analyzing different muscles to see how they can add value. They've convinced packers to sell a cut of beef that used to go into the grinder for ground beef to smaller companies that divide it up into three muscles. One of those muscles is used for the Rotiss-a-Roast; one is used in the precooked pot roast. They say it adds $5 to the carcass value. That's not a lot; but when you consider how many thousands of carcasses go through a packing plant in a year, it could add up to serious money. Lunch was the new Boneless Beef Filet. It's a 3-6 oz filet built to compete with boneless chicken breast. Also tried samples of some other new stuff. The beef ham tastes like ham. About thirty percent of people in the US don't eat pork for various reason, religion, health, etc. And was surprised at how good the Cheesburger Fries were. A whole different look at the cattle business. If you get a chance to go to one of these, take the time.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

In a round about way I think the scandals the beef industry has faced over the last few years has helped comsumption. <p>The outrageous claims of groups against beef made consumers mad enough to eat beef to spite them, or at least made cattle producers get off their duff to educate the public.<p>People respond well to facts when they are presented in a logical simple manner. Most people realize hype for what it is. My first reaction to the beef ham Frankie mentioned was "why?". Her next line about people who don't eat pork for religious reasons made it clear this was a serious product.<p>And yes $5 a carcass is serious money. The small packer I deal with kills 900 head per day. Thats $4500 a day extra profit. I'd take it.<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts