Quiz: AI versus Buy a Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

This brings to mind a question. After you've culled down, how do you select the bull that best fits for your herd? Do you use one that comlements to top cows, the average cows or the bottom cows?

dun

dun,

Excellent point.

Thats one of the reasons even top breeders use a combination approach. For the average commercial herdsman it can be a tough choice. The number of cows to be bred can be an influence also. The sharing of bulls around here among the small types is becoming the in thing. Even that has some concerns. Leasing is becoming a new trend also. I would want to know where the bull had been for his breeding life of sharing or being leased, for starters.

I visited reg. angus herd couple days ago. Just 13 cows. He is full time farmer, also small veal operation. Now I'm new to beef bred hol. all my life. I don't know what his goals are but with those 13 cows he had a well bred herd bull and used 7 or 8 ai sires each year. Is that wise?

rkm":3o561u0l said:
I visited reg. angus herd couple days ago. Just 13 cows. He is full time farmer, also small veal operation. Now I'm new to beef bred hol. all my life. I don't know what his goals are but with those 13 cows he had a well bred herd bull and used 7 or 8 ai sires each year. Is that wise?
Having a well bred bull, which I would assume would have cost a pretty penny, and using AI sounds like a pretty expensive operation to get 13 cows bred.

dun":36vq2w27 said:
cypressfarms":36vq2w27 said:
I'm all for people A.I.'ing and improving their herd, but you will not get 100% settled.

Wrong, if you select for fertility in the females and cull those that don;t settle with a maximum of 2 services there's no reason to not have 100% settle. Jeanne also I believe does all AI. It akes a little more managment, but at least you don;t have to contend with a bull 365 days a year.

dun

Dun,

I'm not doubting you, but I've never seen an outfit that was able to attain 100%. I need to come over to take lessons from you Dun, are you accepting work hands?

cypressfarms":2s0j1rhn said:
dun":2s0j1rhn said:
cypressfarms":2s0j1rhn said:
I'm all for people A.I.'ing and improving their herd, but you will not get 100% settled.

Wrong, if you select for fertility in the females and cull those that don;t settle with a maximum of 2 services there's no reason to not have 100% settle. Jeanne also I believe does all AI. It akes a little more managment, but at least you don;t have to contend with a bull 365 days a year.

dun

Dun,

I'm not doubting you, but I've never seen an outfit that was able to attain 100%. I need to come over to take lessons from you Dun, are you accepting work hands?

Check with the dairys in your area, a lot of them do 100% AI and don;t have a bull on the place. It starts with the selection of the female side of the equation.
As to hiring, how are you at tearing out old overgrown fence and hanging new fence?

dun

I wouldn't be afraid to use AI no matter how big the herd is. The guys who think they can get a better conception rate with a bull are fooling themselves. If all you are concerned with is a calf maker or do you wish to put some genetics back in the herd. Oh and by the way sharpen up that pencil and i think you will see that AI is cheaper.

Hutch":2g3obbf9 said:
If you only AI every year you will have more open cows (Dun is exempt) open cows don't make you any $$$.
Yep, you're right. Awhile back he claimed that some hired him to go in and AI after the clean-up bull got taken out.

Latest posts