quick update

Help Support CattleToday:

hotbarrel

Reaction score
my bull is growing well and seems in very good health. I now get a reading of about 51 inches on the cattle tape. prety good I think. he is about a foot taller compared to the pics I took, back on the day I got him. I do not know how much longer he is but he looks BIG !! His body now looks filled out very well compared to the bone rack he was. I do see some conture in him but I do not see any individual ribs. I do not see the spine. all in all I think he is doing well.
I feed him 7 slice of bread, 1/2 gal course 20, 1/2 gal cracked corn, twice a day and all the corn stocks he wants. also we give him a couple apples from time to time.
how dose this sound?? I am still trying to learn.
thanks for any feedback
the hotbarrel

KMacGinley":1tdjzpeh said:
Are you feeding him white or whole wheat? Whole Wheat is much healthier for him.
I try to give hive him the "heavy" bread whole wheat , and multy grain. but sometimes all they have is white...

Nesikep":250h07by said:
does he get it with peanut butter and jelly?? spoiled guy ! :)

Be careful with the peanut butter and cows. Long story. Not good for cows. For pigs, yes, most definitely.

Is the bread free? If so, up his ration to a couple loaves per day. :cowboy:

I know a guy in Kentucky who was feeding a Charolais bull loaves of old white bread. The bull got addicted to the sugar in the bread and demolished a pop-up camper that some hunters had set up in his field. They left a loaf of white bread open in the camper and the door open. Bull squeezed in after the bread and of course could not back out and panic set in. Needless to say a 2 year old bull on a sugar high in a pop-up camper was an ugly sight. The guy said he demolished the inside and his feet went through the floor. This was back in the 70's when the floors were just plywood on steel cross members. They had to use a torch and a sawzall to extract him after the vet sedated him.

HOSS":3t12fcrl said:
I know a guy in Kentucky who was feeding a Charolais bull loaves of old white bread. The bull got addicted to the sugar in the bread and demolished a pop-up camper that some hunters had set up in his field. They left a loaf of white bread open in the camper and the door open. Bull squeezed in after the bread and of course could not back out and panic set in. Needless to say a 2 year old bull on a sugar high in a pop-up camper was an ugly sight. The guy said he demolished the inside and his feet went through the floor. This was back in the 70's when the floors were just plywood on steel cross members. They had to use a torch and a sawzall to extract him after the vet sedated him.
:eek: :shock: What a sight that must have been!!!!!

HOSS":343m0vi8 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's when you need a camera!

mnmtranching":t16ml84p said:
Is the bread free? If so, up his ration to a couple loaves per day. :cowboy:
the bread is allmost free .. I think I will up the amount I feed him.
this week we got pumpernickle and rye. both are prety hearty.
as for sugar high... I still give him 3 apples twice a day.

13 days and counting down!! till the slaughter. yum yum . I allready have the charcoal ready

If he was a pet your ration "sounds" OK. As a finishing ration, it sounds a little light on the energy. 13 days prior to slaughter I am thinking he would be up to 12-16 lbs of mixed grain a day and all you can eat forage. I am guessing here but a half a gallon of corn is only ~3 lbs?? Do you have a scale you could weigh him with? I could be wrong but he might not be finished yet.

Latest posts