quick scenario

Help Support CattleToday:

cattlepower

Reaction score
I currently don't have any cattle at all. I talked with a man that has about 125 acres of good grass that wants to work some kind of deal for me to run cattle on his place. He lives about 1 hr. from me and says he's open to almost anything. He has good cattle experience, good facilities and good grass. I know this is pretty open ended but I'm too hard headed to come up with some good options so I thought y'all might be able to help me in that area. Just like him, I'm open to ideas--appreciate it! :help:

Deals like that seldom work out well for very long. Unless you know him very well I would suggest finding something closer to you.

I agree with Isomade. There usually is a good reason behind it or a hidden agenda some where. My cows are on my grandparents place with the deal of I keep the place up and can use the pasture for free. I think the reason I got such a good deal is #1 they're my grandparents and #2 I think seeing cows in the pasture again kinda makes it feel like home again for them

You've got to put pencil to paper and see what will work. To me with the land being that far away I would only plan on something short term and if it works out longer then great. Some good short term profits can be made if you do your homework and don't get hit by outside forces. You've always got to calculate a worst case scenario and then it's up to you and the amount of risk you are willing to live with. Nothing is a for sure thing in the cattle business.

same question..carting? But I was going to add, that an hour away is not good. I tried that back many years ago, (running cattle on someone elses land) and it is a hard deal to do. Just alot better to be there to see whats going on, easier to take care of, and not spending time on the road. JMO

An hour away is nothing if your around that area on a regular basis.
I would offer to just lease it from him and put it on paper. No need for him to have any more involvement than that.

Lease land with someone to watch your cattle is hard to come by. I guess the question would be is how involved does he want to be and how involved do you want him to be. I would bet he can teach you if you need some advise or help with something. I run cattle on three different places, all over an hour from my home. It is very valuable to have a neighbor to call you when something is wrong.

Birdog

hooknline":21w91dpz said:
I would offer to just lease it from him and put it on paper. No need for him to have any more involvement than that.
That's what I would do also . No one is going to care for your cattle like you will.

hooknline":3cszugd4 said:

Latest posts