Quick death disease

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Rack Rancher

Reaction score
I was just talking to the guy who keeps my yearlings over the winter. He's had two healthy yearling animals die suddenly in the last few days. He says its not Black Leg, the only other thing I can think of is Anthrax, but that is supposedly easy to recognize, too. Any other ideas? He is too cheap to get an autopsy done.

CRR - I can understand economizing when times are tough. But, a visit by the vet in this case after the dead of the first could POSSIBLY have prevented the second.

So, vet visit - even if 150 bucks - could POSSIBLY have prevented dead number two and the loss of a 300 dollar animal.

Sometimes being frugal can cost more than you can save. I wonder how you would react if they were your animals under his care?

He may be a good guy, but to me this shows a lack of responsibility on his part. On top, he may even lose a couple more.

Now, I will get off my horse and ask the usual - Any batteries, potential poisons laying around? If they showed no outward signs of trouble I believe I would be looking at the "local environment".

Just my two cents.

Bez

Bez":atwcqw1q said:
CRR - I can understand economizing when times are tough. But, a visit by the vet in this case after the dead of the first could POSSIBLY have prevented the second.

So, vet visit - even if 150 bucks - could POSSIBLY have prevented dead number two and the loss of a 300 dollar animal.

Sometimes being frugal can cost more than you can save. I wonder how you would react if they were your animals under his care?

He may be a good guy, but to me this shows a lack of responsibility on his part. On top, he may even lose a couple more.

Now, I will get off my horse and ask the usual - Any batteries, potential poisons laying around? If they showed no outward signs of trouble I believe I would be looking at the "local environment".

Just my two cents.

Bez

As I said, my yearlings are over there mixed in with his. If its something contagious I sure as heck don't want to bring them back to my place. If it is environmental then I want to get them back to my place as quick as possible. Right now, I'm kind of the mind that I should bring them back and throw them on my starter pasture where I usually start my cattle in the spring before the grass gets growing. Problem is, if its contagious then I won't be using that pasture this summer. Knowing the guy as I do, I would expect it may be environmental. I'm planning on going over for a look this weekend to see if I can find anything specific. I didn't notice anything peculiar last time I was there a few weeks ago but I guess I wasn't really looking. Anthrax and Blackleg were the only two things that came to mind that would kill otherwise healthy calves. I just wondered if there were any other quick death diseases out there.

Cattle Rack Rancher":11rqdwiz said:
I just wondered if there were any other quick death diseases out there.
We had a bull a couple of months ago that looked completely healthy on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning was dead. A neighbor had the same thing a couple of weeks earlier with a hfr.
I don't know if there is anything to this, but the vet said it was a fast acting pneumonia that will kill them overnite and showing no signs of being sick.

I have a neighbor that lost four holstein heifers (ouch!) last fall to something he called "quick pnemonia". They were fine one day, dead 24 hours later...and these were 250lb+ calves. :shock:

milkmaid":2s9m3e3g said:
I have a neighbor that lost four holstein heifers (ouch!) last fall to something he called "quick pnemonia". They were fine one day, dead 24 hours later...and these were 250lb+ calves. :shock:
Ours was a 4 yr. old bull.
Had it posted and the lab said they didn't know for sure. Big help!!! :roll: :roll: :(

Cattle Rack Rancher":1713dljb said:
I was just talking to the guy who keeps my yearlings over the winter. He's had two healthy yearling animals die suddenly in the last few days. He says its not Black Leg, the only other thing I can think of is Anthrax, but that is supposedly easy to recognize, too. Any other ideas? He is too cheap to get an autopsy done.

CattleRack... Are any of those remaining animals coughing,if so you need to jump on this and fast. He could have summer pnemonia (AIP ?).If they are coughing don,t push them to hard ,when or if you move them or they could croak.

I had that in 98 in a group of grass cattle,We fed medicated Alfala pellets for a few days from Co-op to get rid of it.

I lost 5 head in a day and a half ,before the vet pinned it down.

Quick pneumonia maybe? What kind of weather you been having? Wouldn't be that likely for a yearling but it's always possible.>?
bif

Latest posts