Quick Attach Hay Spears

Help Support CattleToday:

How heavy is it? I think it is probably cheap for a reason.

Our silage bales are tough on spikes. Haven't found one that will hold up long term yet.

I hate that style of spike personally, I much prefer the type with two long spears on the bottom. They will also double as pallet forks.

Have you looked at Washburn over in Lamar? They make some heavy attachments and have SHW spears from Germany. I have a double fork for the loader and a double for the back so I can transport four bales at a time. No silage - 4x5's around 1k lbs per.

Not cheap - but you get what you pay for IMO. Buy once, cry once.

Last edited:
Have you looked at Washburn over in Lamar? They make some heavy attachments and have SHW spears from Germany. I have a double fork for the loader and a double for the back so I can transport four bales at a time. No silage - 4x5's around 1k lbs per.

Not cheap - but you get what you pay for IMO. Buy once, cry once.

We have a good one but I forget who makes it. It has the 48" tapered spikes that are really stout. I did break one last year, but a hired hand bent it a few years back picking up a log, I'm sure it fatigued quite a bit when I bent it back.

The spikes that have the U-bolt type mount won't hold for long at all. I've broken several.

Old dun got me a double Euro spear from some place that made them within an hour or so of Lebanon, MO. It wasn't Tri-L, but another name brand. They used to sell them at the JD place in Lebanon. Can't remember the name, but I really like the spear.

Also got a Worksaver brand double on another Euro mount and it seems to be pretty well made.

I bought the same one you recommended from Ebay. It's plenty heavy and the welds look good to me. I have not moved any hay yet, but I don't foresee any issues. I will report back if I have problems.