Questions on electric fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
We need to put up electric to rotate grazing. How many strands would you run for cows and calves? Calves are 3-400 pounds now. How far apart on the posts? Land is relatively flat (slight slope) and just open field.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

If it is not a boundry fence 1 wire will be sufficient I use smooth wire with push in posts probly 30 - 40 ft apart. once there used to it mine doesn,t even need plugged in.

The distancew between posts is a product of how heavy the wire is and how tight it's pulled. For polywire we run a post every 40-50 feet on the flat ground, others places there's one every 10 feet. If it's going to be permanent high tensil I pull it fairly tight and find the lowest sag and put a post there, then pull it tight and put a post at the lowest sag again, usually one on either side of the first post which is generally somewhere near the middle. Aome places we put them in every 100 feet or so and just a use a fiberglass stay to keep the wire off the ground at the sag points. For high tensile or poly we use as ingle strand 28-32 inches high.

dun

Make sure they know what it is before you put em out ( train em ).

As stated 1 strand is enough on interior, but I would keep mine hot, especially with calves.

I just finished some cross fencing and I got the idea to try something a little different. I used an existing line fence T-post to mount my solar charger. I then sunk three grounding rods and ran buried wire to connect them. as I was connecting the ground wire to the charger, it occurred to me to run the wire up the T-post underneath the wire ties that hold the barbed wire in place on the post thinking that with all the T-posts for a 1/4 mile stretch connected with five strands of barbed wire, every post on the fence would act as a ground rod. My fence is hot and I'm not sure if this helped, but it sure hasn't hurt. Anyone else do this?

It is recommended to have a continuous ground wire around fence. Make one hot and one wire ground or whichever way you wanna do it. So that if a cow hits the hot wire and the ground wire at the same time (in your case hits wire and the post) all of the charger power bears down on them.

Hasbeen":2s55wh9g said:
I just finished some cross fencing and I got the idea to try something a little different. I used an existing line fence T-post to mount my solar charger. I then sunk three grounding rods and ran buried wire to connect them. as I was connecting the ground wire to the charger, it occurred to me to run the wire up the T-post underneath the wire ties that hold the barbed wire in place on the post thinking that with all the T-posts for a 1/4 mile stretch connected with five strands of barbed wire, every post on the fence would act as a ground rod. My fence is hot and I'm not sure if this helped, but it sure hasn't hurt. Anyone else do this?

I use a 3 strand with the center wire being a ground. All the posts in my fence serve as a ground rod. Anytime you are wondering how well it works, just grab a hold of it. Keeps em in, even in dry droughthy weather.

Latest posts